[Vision2020] gays in the Military

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Nov 9 10:35:13 PST 2008

I am retired from the United States Army after serving almost 21 years of
service.

I have served one tour in Vietnam, three tours in Germany, one tour in
South Korea. and three stateside assignments.

I have known gay and lesbian soldiers in nearly all of my assignments.
Prior to being reclassified into the infantry I served under a lesbian
senior non-commissioned officer.  As a squad leader in a mechanized
(Bradleys) infantry unit, my driver was (and I assume still is) gay.
While serving as a platoon sergeant of a 40-man platoon in that same
infantry unit, two of the gunners and one of the squad leaders were (and,
again, I assume still are) gay.

I NEVER once questioned or doubted their patriotism, loyalty, or
commitment to duty.  If necessity had become reality I would have proudly
served with these men in combat, because these soldiers had proven their
worth many times over and when, as they say, the baloon goes up I can (as
George C. Scott said in "Patton") give a tinker's damn about his/her
sexuality, as long as (s)he, as they say, has my back.

Perhaps those that tend to question the worth of these fine soldiers,
based simply on their sexuality, should reflect on their own morality.

Until then . . .

Pro patria,

Tom Hansen
SFC, US Army (Retired)