[Vision2020] Forum Etiquette Was: Don't you get it? EVERYONE'S rights are in peril!

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 8 12:45:36 PST 2008

Chasuk wrote:
> "Bottom-posting" used to be the correct form, and I wish it still was.
>  It only changed with the influx of neophytes and Outlook Express.
> >From the jargon file:
>
> http://catb.org/jargon/html/B/bottom-post.html
>
> "bottom-post: v.
>
>     In a news or mail reply, to put the response to a news or email
> message after the quoted content from the parent message. This is
> correct form, and until around 2000 was so universal on the Internet
> that neither the term 'bottom-post' nor its antonym top-post existed."
>
> And:
>
> "... best practice is actually to excerpt only the relevant portions
> of the parent message, then intersperse the poster's response in such
> a way that each section of response appears directly after the excerpt
> it applies to. This reduces message bulk, keeps thread content in a
> logical order, and facilitates reading."
>
> I follow the conventions in the paragraph above quite scrupulously,
> but then I am an "old-timer," having posted my first messages in an
> online forum 1985ish.

I think the acceptance of email into corporate culture is the major
reason for the ubiquity of top posting.  The top is the first place you
look, and thus you don't have to scroll down through possibly pages of
text to find the "I agree" or "please go forward with this" or whatever
it is you're looking for.  Time is money.  The rest of the email
exchange is included as context, so you can see who said what and (more
importantly) who was or was not part of the email chain.  This makes
sense to me, since you basically have a reversed time order, the closer
it is to the top, the more recent it is.  When you get 40 emails on the
same topic with everyone collaborating instead of debating, it makes sense.

It doesn't work as well in a forum where multiple people with multiple
viewpoints may be responding to only portions of what was said, causing
the conversation to fork multiple times.

I'm used to top posting for the above reasons at work, but I'll try to
remember to follow forum etiquette here.

Paul