[Vision2020] Local Vs. Non-Local Vision2020 Topics

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 15:51:03 PST 2008

> I also realize that events far away in the world may have implications and
> effects here, so the definition of "community" is necessarily imprecise.
>

> Bruce Livingston

Exactly.  And our actions locally can effect the world at large.  Given the
increasing "globalization" of our world, economically, politically,
ethnically, culturally, and environmentally, it is increasing becoming
difficult to define many issues as exclusively local vs. not local.  For
example, if we locally purchase lots of products from China, that may be
available in adundance at the new Hawkins Mall, this decision has economic,
political and environmental implications that are global in scope.  And our
local contributions to CO2 emissions are a problem that is shared by all who
are involved in a fossil fueled economy anywhere, contributing to a problem
both global and local.  To ignore our responsiblility as we add to climate
change via local CO2 emissions (100s of thousands of tons of CO2
emissions are associated with economic activity in Pullman/Moscow annually)
is to ignore what is now a problem that all planetary citizens should
address, perhaps one of the best examples of an appropriate application of
the slogan "Think globally act locally."

Teilhard de Chardin wrote of the "Omega Point" of increasing complexity that
we are drawn toward.  While I do not believe all aspects of de Chardin's
theories, I find many of his ideas exciting, a thoughtful and brilliant
experssion of "Christian" theology, though many Christians think of him as a
heretic.  Human civilization on this planet is becoming increasingly focused
on the "'personilization' of the universe" defined very uniquely in the
excerpt below .  "Planetary citizens" indeed!

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Omega-Point

 it must be personal – an intellectual
being<http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Being>and not an
abstract idea;
the complexification of matter has not only led to higher forms of
consciousness, but accordingly to more personalization, of which
human-beings are the highest attained form of this 'personalization' of the
universe. They are completely individualized, free centers of operation. It
is in this way that man is said to be made in the image of God, who is the
highest form of personality. He expressly states that in the Omega Point,
when the universe is made One by unification, human persons will not be
suppressed, but super-personalized. Personality will be infinitely enriched.
This is because Omega Point *unites* creation, and the more it unites, the
more the universe complexifies and rises in consciousness. Thus, as God
creates the universe evolves towards higher forms of complexity,
consciousness, and finally with humans, personality, because God, who is
drawing the universe towards him, is a Person.