[Vision2020] Obama Draws Cheers

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Nov 7 07:46:49 PST 2008

>From the Sports (that's right, Sports) section of today's (November 7,
2008) Spokesman Review.

Obama Draws Cheers
Cougars leaned toward Democrat

PULLMAN – College football teams are not known for their deep
philosophical discussions – even during an historic presidential year.

The Washington State Cougars are no different.

“Being around the football team so much, it seems like it’s a little off-
limits,” said junior Kenny Alfred, quite possibly the most eclectic
thinker on the team, of political discussions.  “There are times in the
meal room where we talk a little bit, but it never goes past small talk.”

But even a team that would rather argue the relative merits of Call of
Duty 4 vs. Halo 3 had some social conscience this election season.

Tuesday night, after the team meeting, Coach Paul Wulff led his team in
its usual “1-2-3, go Cougs” sheer.

“I said 1-2-3, everybody said, ‘Go,’ and half the group said ‘Obama’ and
the other half said ‘Cougs,’” Wulff said.

Like most college students – some election-day exit polls had students
preferring Obama over republican rival John McCain 2-to-1 – the president-
elect seems to have the support of a majority of Cougars players.

“It’s an exciting transition for our country,” Alfred, 22, said.  “It’s
just a much-needed change.  It’s interesting and it’s very exciting.”

As excited as Alfred is over the change in direction, his fervor paled in
comparison to that of defensive back Chima Nwachukwu, 19, who voted for
the first time.

“It really gave us something to believe in – us as a youth, (and) us as an
African-American people,” Nwachukwu said.  “It felt like it was a people-
powered revolution that Obama was running.  And it felt like there was an
ideal that was realized.”

Nwachukwu smiled broadly as he described his Tuesday night phone call with
his mother, Ngozi, and her response to the election results.

“My mom was screaming when CNN declared he was the winner,” Nwachukwu
said.  “She was like ‘Can’t believe I lived to see this day.’ It was a
real sense of pride that we can take full ownership now that he’s at the
highest (point), chief executive.”

“It’s something amazing.”

If you think apathy is still rampant among college students, Nwachukwu
dispels that myth.

“I put in a lot of hours volunteering with his campaign,” he said.  “And
it felt like it was all of our victory, not just the candidate.  That’s
what made it sweet.”

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)