[Vision2020] election is over

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Thu Nov 6 17:24:10 PST 2008

[I started to write this in response to Nick Gier's post about Sarah Palin.  I am glad to see Scott and Sue's response to that same post, (essentially, "let's move on, the election is over") but I am posting mine, anyway, because I thought it would be worthwhile to think about our cyber community here.]

Now that the election is over, could we all think about the mission of this community listserve, and try to post in accord with that purpose?
  "Moscow Vision 2020 is an informal, multi-partisan group of Moscow residents formed in 1993 to encourage more public information and debate about the future of Moscow and Latah County. We do make a difference!!! Join us in helping to participate in the future of our community."

  http://vision2020.moscow.com/

This is just my opinion, but I do think that this forum could be improved if snide remarks and petty sniping, topics far afield from Moscow with questionable local relevance, jokes and idle chit-chat were to be reduced or eliminated -- voluntarily, of course.  Anything in the way of "localizing" the conversation and making it more substantive would be a real plus for this forum.

CAVEATS:
  I realize that the forum is unmoderated, and that "censorship"  is neither wanted nor possible.

  I also realize that events far away in the world may have implications and effects here, so the definition of "community" is necessarily imprecise.
Still, it would be nice to see our frequent posters make a concerted effort to abide by the generally accepted practice of limiting posts to three per day.  Voluntary restraint, at least, is possible, and from my perspective, is something to which we could all aspire.

Bruce Livingston