[Vision2020] liberals writing their narrative for defeat — the race card

No Weatherman no.weatherman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 07:21:44 PST 2008

The Final Days
Susan Estrich

It is time for this election to be over. It is time because it has
been going on for what feels like a lifetime, because the final days
have been full of noise and fury and very little light, and because we
need to start solving problems rather than just debating them.

It is time because we all know how it should turn out and because
thinking about what could happen if it doesn't is too upsetting.

Are Democrats in danger of being too confident? The short answer is no.

It's no because we've lost too many times when we were supposed to
win. It's no because it's easier to convince people to go to a wedding
than a funeral, to show up at a party instead of a wake. The
California Democrats I've talked to, even the tired and cynical ones,
are heading off to Colorado and Nevada and New Mexico, leaving nothing
to chance, eager to be part of celebrations across the country.

And the truth is that no matter what the polls say — and they couldn't
be much better — we're all still holding our breath. We're holding our
breath because as many times as we tell each other that with the
economy the way it is, with the wrong track numbers the way they are,
with consumer confidence as low as it is, race shouldn't matter, it
really shouldn't matter enough in enough places to make every single
poll wrong.

It shouldn't. It really shouldn't. Because, let's face it, God forbid
if it does.

This is the unspoken what-if, the whispered fear.

It's not just that Barack Obama should win because he's ahead and the
economy stinks and he's run a disciplined and well-financed campaign
while John McCain struggled for a message and chose a running mate
whose inability to answer easy questions has left women embarrassed
and fuming.

It's what it will say if he doesn't. And what will happen if he doesn't.

There is only one reason the polls could be this wrong. There is only
one reason a contest that is not even close, that is somewhere between
clobbered and landslide, could wind up with the other guy on top.
Every pollster in America is not incompetent. Every pollster in
America is not failing in precisely the same way when it comes to
pulling a sample, screening for voters and assigning weights to the
various groups.

The only way all these polls could be that far off is if people are
lying in numbers never before seen in American politics.

Why would they do that?

You tell me it has nothing to do with race. I'll laugh. What else
could it possibly be?

It is too awful to think about, for reasons having nothing to do with
what kind of president McCain would be and everything to do with what
it would say about us, how we would see each other, the distrust and
the anger that it would unleash. Obama could say all the calming words
in the world — and I have no doubt he would — but it wouldn't matter.

It's time for this election to be over so we can stop worrying about
what could go wrong and how bad things would be if it did. We need to
think better of each other. After Tuesday, hopefully we will.
COPYRIGHT 2008 CREATORS SYNDICATE INC.
http://www.creators.com/opinion/susan-estrich/the-final-days-2008-10-31.html