[Vision2020] Before you vote tomorrow remember those who have given their lives for our nation

Love America skialaska0 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 13:51:43 PST 2008

Hi All,

Through all the rather weird arguments that have been posted on V2020
ranging from witchdoctors to aunts who are illegal aliens, one of the most
important issues of this election has been largely ignored, how to finish
the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.  Tom Hansen has been performing a
wonderful service for V2020 posting the names of those who have given their
lives in the two wars and I thank you for that.

Whether you are a Democrat or Republican, you should honor those who have
fallen for their nation in this War on Terror.  The easiest way to do so is
1) vote tomorrow, and 2) as you vote consider which candidate for President,
Senate, and House will honor those who have fallen, how to get our troops
home, and how to do so honoring those who have given their lives.

I am bringing this up because last night as I picked up DeLaina from the
Fairbanks airport, we had the honor of accidentally being in attendance as
the cremated remains of a service man was brought back to Alaska.  After all
the passengers had left the aircraft, a Army Sergeant, in full dress
uniform, came down the ramp holding the small wooden box with a folded flag
that cover the coffin of the soldier before his cremation.  Staff at the
Airport then had the passengers and waiting families step aside as the urn
was carried from the plane, through the airport to his waiting family.  The
airport was very quiet, the dozen or so soldiers that were on the flight
came to attention, another Sergeant announced the name of the fallen
soldier, they saluted, and then the urn and folded flag was presented to the
family.   A box containing his service medals, a bag with his
personal belongings, and a cased letter were also handed over.   The family
and others left and the airport quickly returned to its normal busy nature.

American's everyday busy lives can quickly override the simple fact that our
nation is fighting two wars and that our men and women are giving their
lives for these wars.  Whether you agree or disagree with the wars is
irrelevant, what is relevant is that elected officials at the federal level
will probably be bringing these wars to an end within the next couple of
wars and we as a nation have to select the leadership that will make the
choice on how to accomplish this.

I know that all of us have our pet issues, whether that is global warming,
abortion, the bailout, taxes, school funding, fish, alternative energy, or
what have you; please put those aside and think about the wars.  Nothing
else is as important.

Chris