[Vision2020] Sali, Minnick Both Face Campaign Finance Issues

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Nov 2 10:57:10 PST 2008

"Among the contributions [to Rep. Sali] for which the FEC said notices
were missing was $3,000 from the National Crystal Sugar Company PAC on May
13; $1,000 from the ExxonMobil PAC on May 22; $1,000 from Halliburton
Company PAC on May 13; $1,000 from the Marathon Oil Company Employees PAC
on May 19; and $1,950 from the National Rifle Association of America
Political Victory Fund on May 22."

Halliburon?
ExxonMobil?
Marathon Oil Company?

All these unreported (or reported late with amended filings) contributions
to Rep. Bill Sali who voted against veterans twice and against Idaho
education three times?

See for yourself at:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes.xpd?person=412201

>From the October 29, 2008 edition of the Spokesman Review -

----------------------

Sali, Minnick both face campaign finance issues
By Betsy Z. Russell
Staff writer

FEC Letter to Sali
http://spokesmanreview.com/media/pdf/20081028_sali_fecletter.pdf

BOISE – Idaho Rep. Bill Sali has run into more problems with his Federal
Election Commission campaign finance filings.

The freshman congressman’s campaign downplays the issue, and says it’ll be
resolved. Meanwhile, his Democratic challenger, Walt Minnick, also has run
into problems with his own FEC filings, though the amounts involved are
smaller.

The FEC says Sali didn’t file the required reports within 48 hours for a
dozen large PAC contributions he received shortly before the primary
election. All of the contributions were for $1,000 or more, and were
received in May.

Contributions of $1,000 or more that are received within 20 days before an
election must be reported within 48 hours; both Sali and Minnick have been
filing numerous such reports in the past two weeks.

“The failure to file 48-hour notices may result in civil money penalties
or legal enforcement action,” the FEC warned Sali in a letter, and
demanded a response by Nov. 24.

Sali campaign manager Jonathan Parker said at least one of the
contributions actually was reported on a 48-hour report in May. “We are
still going through our documents to find the others, but we’re confident
those were filed appropriately as well,” Parker said.

Among the contributions for which the FEC said notices were missing was
$3,000 from the National Crystal Sugar Company PAC on May 13; $1,000 from
the ExxonMobil PAC on May 22; $1,000 from Halliburton Company PAC on May
13; $1,000 from the Marathon Oil Company Employees PAC on May 19; and
$1,950 from the National Rifle Association of America Political Victory
Fund on May 22.

The FEC also asked Sali’s campaign to amend reports to clear up
discrepancies between beginning and ending balances from one report to the
next; and to correct figures showing how much each contributor has donated
to date.

The federal agency also sent similar letters to Minnick, citing similar
discrepancies. Instead of missing 48-hour notices, however, the letters to
Minnick cited errors of between $50 and $500 in calculations of five
individual contributors’ contributions to date for the election cycle.

Bob Biersack, FEC spokesman, said, “We send thousands of those letters
every cycle.”

The Minnick campaign has received four such letters since July 15, and has
filed four amended reports. The Sali campaign has received six such
letters since July 15 and has filed seven amended reports.

The Sali campaign also reported in its latest 48-hour notice receiving a
$5,000 contribution from one individual, Emmett rancher Harry Bettis,
though the contribution limit for individuals is $2,300 per election.
Biersack said campaigns have up to 60 days to refund excessive
contributions, or, at the contributor’s direction, redesignate excessive
funds toward debt from previous election cycles.

“In the meantime, under FEC rules, we cannot use amounts in excess of the
$2,300 limit,” Parker said.

Wayne Hoffman, Sali campaign spokesman, said, “The finance reports are
important and you file those on time and you make them as accurate as you
possibly can, and you go back and you fix ‘em. But we’re not going to sit
here and have discussions about what Walt Minnick filed and what he didn’t
file, and we haven’t. This is a campaign about issues.”

Minnick’s campaign couldn’t be reached for comment.

Sali’s campaign has now filed 48 amended campaign finance reports in two
years. Minnick has filed seven since he entered the race a year ago.

Seeya at the polls, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)