[Vision2020] Gun Executive Forced Out Over Support for Obama

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Nov 1 08:17:51 PDT 2008

>From today's (November 1, 2008) Spokesman Review -

Gun executive forced out over support for Obama
Matt Gouras
November 1, 2008

HELENA – The board of directors for a small Montana gun manufacturer asked
the company's president to resign after word that he supports Democratic
presidential candidate Barack Obama led to calls on pro-gun Web sites to
boycott the company's products.

Dan Cooper, who co-founded Cooper Firearms of Montana Inc., could not be
reached for comment Friday. But he told USA Today on Thursday that he had
resigned his post to protect the company's employees.

"When the Internet anger turned on these innocent people, I felt it was
important to distance myself from the company so as not to cause any
further harm," he said in a statement to the newspaper.

In a statement posted on its Web site early Friday but later removed, the
Stevensville company said its employees, shareholders and board of
directors do not share Cooper's political views. The executive was quoted
in recent news stories as an Obama supporter, and has donated money to the
campaign.

Word of Cooper's support for Obama spread on pro-gun Web sites, with some
posting messages calling for a boycott of Cooper Firearms and others
labeling the gun executive a traitor.

In its statement, the company said the board of directors asked Cooper to
resign after it appeared the uproar over his support for Obama could
affect employees and shareholders.

"Although we all believe everyone has a right to vote and donate as they
see fit, it has become apparent that the fallout may affect more than just
Mr. Cooper," the company said.

"We firmly believe Dan stands by the (Second) Amendment," it said.

Andrew Arulanandam, a spokesman for the National Rifle Association, said
the controversy shows gun owners have a problem with Obama.

"I think the decision to terminate is an indicator of the level of
distrust that gun owners have with Barack Obama," Arulanandam said.

Seeya at the polls, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)