[Vision2020] responding to No Weatherman

No Weatherman no.weatherman at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 07:18:26 PDT 2008

Bill London defended anonymous free speech that called a local school
"Hitler Youth" but he condemns my anonymous free speech because it's
anonymous, mean-spirited, angry, and offensive.

"Don't bury free speech in Friendship Square"
Town Crier, by Bill London
Wednesday, September 14, 2005 — Page Updated at 12:00:00 AM

On Aug. 17, officials at New Saint Andrews College discovered the
words Hitler Youth written in chalk on the sidewalk in front of their
building in downtown Moscow. NSA officials quickly launched a frenzy
of accusation, claiming the college had been vandalized. Wrong and
ridiculous.

First, the Hitler Youth message was not vandalism. There was no damage
to property. The words were written in chalk. Furthermore, the words
were not even on NSA property. The message was left on the public
sidewalk, actually part of Friendship Square.

Second, the person who wrote Hitler Youth on that sidewalk was
exercising his/her First Amendment right to free speech. The words
Hitler Youth may be mean-spirited, in poor taste, or inappropriate to
NSA, but those words have a political meaning and the person who wrote
those words had a constitutional right to write them, in chalk, on the
public sidewalk.

The U.S. Supreme Court says that nobody can criminalize speech unless
it threatens imminent harm, agreed Elizabeth Brandt, University of
Idaho law professor and American Civil Liberties Union representative.
Burning a cross on someone's lawn does threaten imminent harm. Words
of a broad political meaning, especially written in chalk on public
property, do not.

Third, NSA officials also claimed that the states malicious harassment
laws were violated by those words. Nope. Idaho's malicious harassment
law makes it illegal to try to intimidate or harass anyone on the
basis of race, religion, ancestry, etc. Physical harm to the person,
property damage, or a specific threat are required for this statute to
apply. Also, there must be a reasonable cause to believe that the
threat will occur. As David Duke, assistant police chief in Moscow,
explains: the Hitler Youth message is none of those and thus is not
malicious harassment. The message is legitimate and legal speech.

No laws were broken by the person who wrote Hitler Youth on that
sidewalk, Duke said.

Despite the relevant laws, Christ Church and New Saint Andrews
officials chose to respond to the Hitler Youth message with a
public-relations blast calling those chalked words vandalism. This
response is really just another political move by this group of
spin-meisters. They rushed to the offense, raising the spectre of
vandalism where none occurred, with the goal of limiting dissent and
quieting the response to the impact of NSA downtown.

The men who control Christ Church and New Saint Andrews just dont
understand that Moscow is not a theocracy and that they have not been
anointed as the theocrats in charge of everyones thoughts and actions.
Moscow citizens still have, and can exercise, their rights of free
speech. Those rights are especially important at Friendship Square,
the heart of the community.

Its no accident, after all, that Doug Wilson selected downtown Moscow
as the home for the (as they are described on the Church Web site)
ministries of Christ Church. These ministries, which include Canon
Press, New Saint Andrews College, and the church offices, all are
located in downtown Moscow. As Wilson has made it clear in sermons and
writings for years, his goal is to take Moscow, to refashion this
community to his own beliefs, to dominate the downtown with NSA and
his other church ministries.

Wilson needs to be reminded that his political plan for taking Moscow
is generating a political response that has every right to be heard.
The U.S. Constitution guarantees it.

We need to make sure our freedom of speech is not buried in Friendship
Square beneath Wilson rhetoric.

Perhaps the best statement of Doug Wilson's plan to dominate downtown
Moscow comes from his brother, Evan Wilson, in the documentary film,
My Town.

The film will be shown at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the 1912 Center. No
admission will be charged for this showing, but the sponsors (the
Auntie Establishment and Brother Carl Radio Show) request donations of
canned foods for local food banks.

Please note that I do not support or condone vandalism or malicious
harassment. Both are politically suicidal, ignorant and wrong.
However, equally wrong are efforts to quash legitimate speech.

* Bill London of Moscow is a freelance writer, active in progressive
causes, and works part-time as an information officer for WSU's
College of Education. Town Crier is a weekly series of columns
contributed by 13 local writers. The Town Crier columns run on
Wednesday."
http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2007-January/040307.html