[Vision2020] Fw: HALLOWED GROUNDS

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Thu May 22 09:39:24 PDT 2008

-----Original message-----

From: "Crapo News Release (Crapo)" newsclips at crapo.senate.gov
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 11:35:14 -0700
Subject: HALLOWED GROUNDS

FOR RELEASE 	                    	CONTACT:           Susan Wheeler
(202) 224-5150
Week of May 25, 2008	                          Laura Thurston Goodroe
(202) 224-7500

		HALLOWED GROUNDS
	Guest opinion submitted by Idaho Senator Mike Crapo

"Let no wanton foot tread rudely on such hallowed grounds. Let pleasant
paths invite the coming and going of reverent visitors and fond
mourners. Let no vandalism of avarice or neglect, no ravages of time
testify to the present or to the coming generations that we have
forgotten as a people the cost of a free and undivided republic."

	- General John A. Logan, Commander-in-Chief, Grand Army of the
Republic, from General Orders No.11, WASHINGTON, D.C., May 5, 1868,
which established the first "Memorial Day" to honor those lost in war.

The history of the United States of America records the ongoing
agitation for and defense of human dignity and freedom.  In its most
extreme, that struggle results in war--once, internally, but more often,
externally.  American flags, particularly those smartly waving in late
May breezes every year, stand as stark reminders of the cost of that
freedom--millions of American lives over the past 232 years.  In
anticipation of the annual holiday often marketed as the beginning of
summer, it might be worth asking the question: have we forgotten, or at
least relegated to tragic indifference, what Memorial Day really means?
Does Memorial Day include a trip to the cemetery on the way to the
grocery store, home improvement store, a friend or family member's
house?  Do we tend the graves of our fallen heroes as General Logan
instructed, keeping them free from "vandalism of avarice or neglect?"

Of course, the question is rhetorical-while many do go visit graves of
fallen soldiers or participate in ceremonies or public community events,
a growing number of Americans do not.  As a nation (especially a nation
currently at war), we should take time to honor those who, with their
very lives, have turned our history relentlessly toward the beacon of
freedom and human dignity and away from the darkness of tyranny and
slavery.

Memorial Day is a time to consider not only our freedom, but what it
means to be an American.  We are engaged in a lively campaign
season-possibly the most engaged we've been in politics as a nation in
years.  This is entirely possible because of the men and women upon
whose graves our Stars and Stripes wave this Memorial Day.  We have the
freedom to seek education and a career that suits our own gifts and
desires.  We are free to criticize our government.  We have the freedom
to worship in a manner of our choosing.  We do these things without fear
of government reprisal-in fact, not only do we need not fear government
reprisal in common expressions of our freedom, but our Constitution
encourages us in the exercise thereof.  What a great nation we live in;
what a precious and priceless gift from our military fallen over more
than two centuries.

One of the profound privileges of my Senate responsibilities and
opportunities has been attending Memorial Day services across Idaho.
These solemn ceremonies serve to remind me of the cost of my freedom and
that of my family.  Enumerated in the Constitution and jealously guarded
by those who have worn our nation's uniform, our freedom and our liberty
remain the standard for the rest of the world.  Be patriotic this
Memorial Day.  Enthusiastically embrace your freedom and unashamedly
love and defend our country, the United States of America.  The men and
women we honor on Memorial Day certainly did.  And take time to say a
prayer of thanks for these lives and their sacrifice; better yet, stop
by their final resting place and thank them in person.

WORD COUNT:  592

To link directly to this news release, please go to:
http://crapo.senate.gov/media/newsreleases/release_full.cfm?id=298142&&

This is generated from an unattended mailbox.  If you have constituent
comments or information you would like forwarded to Senator Crapo,
please do so at the Senator's website, http://crapo.senate.gov.
Comments sent to this e-mail address will not be responded to.