[Vision2020] Xian, Xtian

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 19:29:21 PDT 2008

Ralph,

  If you honestly believe the "Urban Dictionary", as you quoted, is a valid source of historical information, then you are also aware that using the word "Xtian" is offensive to Christians and I believe you are being disingenuous that is not your intent.

          "3.   xian
    A word that atheists use because, for some reason, they think it's supposed to insult Christians. "

  "Donovan, I'm just trying to educate you a bit about the Bible and
Christianity."

  Again, I think you are being disingenuous, Ralph. That isn't your interest, you don't understand Christianity, and your attitude is contemptuous. If you spent a little time in a Christian Church and listened to a Pastor, you would understand why your understanding of the Bible and Christ is incorrect, as is your perceptions of what and why Christians believe what they do.

  Best Regards,

  Donovan

Ralph Nielsen <nielsen at uidaho.edu> wrote:
  From Urban Dictionary.com

Xtian

An abbreviation for "Christian". Based upon the first letter (Chi,
which looks like an X) of the Greek word for Christ (Christos). The X
therefore being a traditional symbol for Christ. Xtian is often used
rather than Xian to avoid confusion with the Chinese city.

This abbreviation is often mistaken as derogatory by some Christians
unaware of the history of the people of their faith.

Example: Nero used the Xtians as a scapegoat and had them persecuted.

RN: According to the Oxford English Dictionary, Xtian has been used
since the middle of the 16th century. We also use Xmas for Christmas
and Xian for Christ.

XP (Chi Rho), another abbreviation for Christ, has been known since
before the time of Constantine, in the 4th century. It is a fairly
common in church decoration in Catholic and Episcopalian churches. I
would imagine it is in Greek Orthodox churches as well.

Donovan, I'm just trying to educate you a bit about the Bible and
Christianity. I take the Bible seriously and when I use the abbrev.
"Xian" I'm taking Christ and Christianity seriously. If you find this
offensive, the problem is your ignorance, not my knowledge.