[Vision2020] Parker Column a Racist Tract

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun May 18 09:30:13 PDT 2008

>From today's (May 18, 2008) Spokesman Review with thanks to Duncan
Palmatier of Moscow.

Parker column a racist tract

Kathleen Parker tells us ("The value of American-made," May 15) that "full-
blooded Americans," such as "white ... Southerners" (her capitalization)
who "trace their bloodlines back through generations of sacrifice," can
sniff out the snootiness of Barack Obama, because his "forefathers" did
not fight and die for "an America that has worked pretty well for more
than 200 years" – referring to the "heritage" of the South's treasonous
confederacy that started our bloodiest war in their effort to perpetuate
the slavery of African-Americans – but, she assures us, this brand of not-
so-subtle bigotry "isn't about racial or ethnic differences."

Instead, she explains, it is about fearing immigrants, diversity and
multiculturalism. What a relief! For a minute there I thought I was
reading one of the most appalling calls to racial prejudice and ethnic
hatred I have seen in a nationally syndicated column since the 1960s. Ms.
Parker tells me that, since I am white and have a long American ancestry,
I will "get" her farcical collection of coded phrases and euphemisms to
judge Sen. Obama based on his ancestry and skin color.

What I get is that Ms. Parker wrote a racist tract and should be ashamed
of herself.

Duncan Palmatier

Thank you, Mr. Palmatier, for reminding us of what America was and what it
will hopefully become.

"We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some
are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors....but they
all exist very nicely in the same box."

- Author
Unknown