[Vision2020] VA Email: Save Money, Do Not Diagnose PTSD

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri May 16 13:08:39 PDT 2008

>From the Army Times at:

http://www.ArmyTimes.com

VA e-mail: Save money, do not diagnose PTSD

By Kelly Kennedy - Army Times Staff writer

Read the e-mail, obtained by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in
Washington and VoteVets.org at:

http://tinyurl.com/45tqv9

Two veterans advocacy groups have asked for copies of all documents
relating to the Veterans Affairs Department’s post-traumatic stress
disorder policies after an e-mail surfaced asking VA doctors to keep costs
down by giving diagnoses of adjustment disorder instead.

Veterans diagnosed with PTSD are eligible for health benefits and, in some
cases, disability retirement pay. Adjustment disorder, on the other hand,
is considered a short-term diagnosis, and does not qualify veterans for
benefits, said Brandon Friedman, vice chair of VoteVets.org, one of the
advocacy groups.

“They can say, ‘Ah, you’ve got something temporary, it’ll go away, so we
don’t need to pay you for the rest of your life,’ ” Friedman said.

He said several veterans have told him they were diagnosed with adjustment
disorder rather than PTSD, and that they felt they had received the wrong
diagnosis.

“We hear anecdotal evidence all the time that VA is trying to cut costs by
not diagnosing PTSD,” said Friedman, a former infantry officer who served
in Iraq and Afghanistan. “But we’ve never actually seen proof that it was
being done in an organized way.”

The e-mail, which Friedman said came from a VA hospital’s PTSD program
coordinator, was apparently sent to several VA employees at that hospital.
A psychologist from the hospital in turn sent it to VoteVets.org, Friedman
said.

“Given that we are having more and more compensation-seeking veterans, I’d
like to suggest you refrain from giving a diagnosis of PTSD straight out,”
the e-mail states. “Consider a diagnosis of adjustment disorder, r/o [rule
out] PTSD. Additionally, we really don’t ... have time to do the extensive
testing that should be done to determine PTSD.”

The e-mail also states veterans are appealing their compensation and
pension ratings based on diagnosis from his staff.

VA Secretary James Peake acknowledged in a statement that the e-mail did
come from a VA facility, but said it’s not official policy.

“A single staff member, out of VA’s 230,000 employees, in a single medical
facility sent a single e-mail with suggestions that are inappropriate and
have been repudiated at the highest level of our health-care
organization,” he said. “The employee has been counseled and is extremely
apologetic.”

VoteVets.org and Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
filed a Freedom of Information Act request May 14 asking VA for all
documents relating to PTSD, said Naomi Seligman Steiner, spokeswoman for
the latter group.

“We’re not head-hunting,” Friedman said. “There are a lot of great people
who work at VA who have helped me and my friends. We had to file the FOIA
to get to the bottom of this. Is it from the head of the VA? The
presidential administration? Or individual hospitals? I would like to know
where this directive is coming from.”

Peake said his staff “works hard” to make sure mental health issues are
accurately diagnosed.

“VA’s leadership will strongly remind all medical staff that trust,
accuracy and transparency is paramount to maintaining our relationships
with our veteran patients,” he said. “We are committed to absolute
accuracy in a diagnosis and unwavering in providing any and all earned
benefits. PTSD and the mental health arena is no exception.”

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)