[Vision2020] [CORRECTED] Republicans Vote Against Mother's day

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat May 10 06:40:08 PDT 2008

You really are struggling with basic counting, huh Arnie.

Your link reflects the results of vote #274.  The link below reflects the
results of vote #275 (which conveniently, and almost immediately, follows
vote #274).

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2008-275

Vote #275 was taken immediately following Todd Tiahrt (R-KS) who rose in
protest:

"Mr. Speaker, I ask for a recorded vote because I’m sure every member
wants their mother to know that they have supported the goals of Mother’s
Day."

So, although vote #274 was unanimous in passing HRes 1113, "Celebrating
the role of mothers in the United States and supporting the goals and
ideals of Mother’s Day”, Rep. Tiahrt's protest resulted in a recorded, and
by-name, vote where 177 Republicans (including Bill Sali) voted against
Mother's Day.

In fact Representative Cathy McMorris-Rodgers of Washington, who recently
became a mother, voted against Mother's Day.  I'm guessing that she and
Mrs. Sali may want to form a northwest chapter of MAMD (Mothers Against
Mother's Day).

So, although you have an elementary grasp on this politics thing, it is
basic counting that you are struggling with.

> Hansen,
>
>   Your are wrong. The House passed this bill Unanimously. What the
Republicans objected to
was the first version, not because they oppose Mother's, but because of
others reasons.

>   Here is the FINAL vote on the Resolution passed by the House:
>
>   http://www.govtrack.us/congress/vote.xpd?vote=h2008-274
>
>   Best Regards,

Donovan