[Vision2020] rebate checks

g. crabtree jampot at roadrunner.com
Fri May 9 06:09:42 PDT 2008

I am, for the most part, not a fan of corporate bail outs either. But since your question is how is bailing out the banking industry any less "welfare" than giving poor people money to spend on food a reply is in order. The banking industry pays huge amounts in taxes and employees many, many people. Poor people pay no taxes and employee no one. The government in its bail out of selected banks is returning a small percent of the tax money it received to the organization that has paid in significant amounts in the past and will pay more in the future. Poor people not so much. Banks kept open will continue to provide jobs. Poor people subsidized will only create more poor people. An argument can also be made that a portion of the banks problems were brought on by the government forcing them to extend credit to a much riskier pool of borrowers in the name of "fairness." The government, for all its faults, does not create poor people. It might encourage them to stay that way but it generally doesn't put them there in the first place.