[Vision2020] "spawn" (was "Sali Seeks")

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Tue May 6 14:48:15 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 8:09 AM, keely emerinemix <kjajmix1 at msn.com> wrote:

> Please help me!  I'm in a dilemma here -- am I "playful," "intellectually
> dishonest" or "morally elite"?  I'm getting ready for my day and it's hard
> to know which shoes to wear . . . Keds?  Black stilettoes?  Vegan
> Birkenstocks?

I'm not bipartisan, Keely.  I am an unabashed Keely fan.  We likely
disagree on several major points, but you have always been generous
and kind, and your perception of what constitutes loving your enemies
is uncannily similar to mine.  Anyway, I suggest vegan stilettos.

> I do object to "spawn,"

I would object to Donovan's use of "spawn" if I believed that he was
being intentionally racist or demeaning.  "Spawn," in the context with
which Donovan used it, may be irreverent, but I don't believe that he
used it in he same sense that Jesse Helms would use the word "nigger."
 Context and intention have to be taken into account.   I know Donovan
well enough to know that he is no more racist than the average white
USian, who unavoidably inherit the prevailing racism common to members
of the dominant culture.

Chas