[Vision2020] Sali Seeks to Delay Mexican Consulate

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Tue May 6 11:23:50 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 1:27 AM, Donovan Arnold
<donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> "I'm... baffled. If the legal help results in individuals staying in
> the United States, their presence in the United States was ipso facto
> legal. "Legal" is not a result of the government's assertion that an
> act is legal or illegal; it's a result of the final adjudication of
> the matter. That's the reason we have an independent judiciary."
>
> Andreas,
>
> I am not surprised that you are baffled since your think illegal immigration
> is not illegal. But I will attempt to explain, anyway. When I said legal
> help, I didn't mean help that was legal. I meant advice from their
> government on how to evade US laws.

Illegal immigration is illegal. Illegal immigration is not a crime.
Just as slander, for instance, is illegal... but also not a crime.

> "In what way, Donovan, does a Mexican consulate identification card
> help a Mexican citizen obtain services otherwise unavailable to them?
> You keep asserting that Point A is connected to Point B, but have
> never drawn the line. I suspect that that's because there's no line to
> be drawn."
>
> Three points; First, I have already answered this many times, and
> specifically.

You have answered this several times: specifically and incorrectly.
Your assertion has been that an identification card issued by a
Mexican consulate allows Mexican citizens to legally receive services
such as TANF, food stamps, Medicaid, student loans, housing, Medicare,
and Social Security. Illegal immigrants can legally receive none of
these things, card or no card. Even with identification, they must
also provide proof of citizenship in order to do so.

In the state of Washington, at least, the necessary documentation must
be scanned into the statewide system before the computer will release
welfare benefits. Unless the financial worker doing the intake
falsifies a birth certificate right there on the spot, it is literally
impossible for a non-citizen to actually receive any sort of social
services provided through DSHS.

> Second, if getting an official ID card from Mexico didn't
> provide them additional services and assistance, why would 1000s of Mexican
> citizens everyday trek many miles by foot, car, bike, and bus, and wait for
> hours in lines at Mexican Consulates to get one, do you think they are
> idiots just killing time?

In order to be able to get a library card, present it to the police
when asked for identification, be registered with their country's
consulate if detained on immigration charges, be identified if dead,
and obtain a bank account in the United States? Do you *really* give a
shit if

> How would that impact your day, week, and life not having any legal ID
> of any kind, and how an ID accepted by sanctuary cities like LA, Boise,
> Seattle, and other city government would improve that situation?

-- ACS