[Vision2020] US Constitution Revised?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue May 6 02:33:34 PDT 2008

Keely et. al.

All sarcasm aside, yours or mine, my main point was that since 9/11, our
government has increasingly hollowed out the "moral sense," as you phrased
it, of the US Constitution.  The so called civil rights granted to
immigrants, whether legal immigrants or not, or US citizens, by law prior to
9/11, are now, by laws passed post 9/11, undermined.  This view is
supported by some of the best legal scholars in the US.

Detainees and prisoners can legally, as I outlined in the post you responded
to listing the legislation and executive orders passed post 9/11 that have
impacted this issue, be denied the rights that are under discussion in this
thread.  In short, the "rights" don't exist absolutely, at least in the
context of the newly written law.  A good reason to invoke "God" as a
foundation for absolute ethical standards, if only humans agreed broadly on
what "God" is, or what "God's" ethical standards are.

Debating the rights of immigrants in this context might deflect attention
away from the fact that our rights in general as US citizens have been
weakened.  The foundations of what the US Constitution ostensibly grants
as civil rights is at issue.  The very fact our government has in recent
years debated the efficacy of torture, or the justifications to suspend
habeas corpus, demonstrates this.  US Attorney General Gonzales called the
Geneva Conventions "quaint."

The discussion in this thread has focused in part on whether children born
in the US to "illegal" immigrants are granted US citizenship automatically.
In fact, US citizens can be stripped of their legal rights as citizens,
given changes to law since 9/11.
Consider Japanese Americans, placed in camps during WWII, as a warning for
what could happen.  We are now in an endless "war on terror," used as a
justification to weaken civil rights.  Given that terrorism in one form or
another will likely exist for generations, our civil rights are thus in
jeapordy of being suspended for generations.

The rights granted by a government (and we can debate where rights reside,
or from what source they are granted, in theory, but when a gun is put to
your head, you are beaten or tortured, and jailed, theory may not mean much)
are only as good as the last legislative session, the next president willing
to abuse the power of the executive, or the willingness of those empowered
to use violence in the name of the state when a climate of fear and
authoritarianism dominates.

Ted Moffett