[Vision2020] Sali Seeks to Delay Mexican Consulate

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon May 5 18:53:51 PDT 2008

You know, John McCain was not born in the United States. Can he be President?

  Best Regards,

  Donovan

Andreas Schou <ophite at gmail.com> wrote:
  On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 4:04 PM, g. crabtree wrote:
> To imply that the idea of putting an end to the abuse of birthright
> citizenship by illegal aliens is so "out there" that nothing like it has
> been initiated in this century is totally without foundation. The UK and
> Australia both abandoned the policy in the 80's. (so much for Anglo-American
> common law).

To imply that "birthright citizenship" is not the law of the land is
incorrect. We can talk about "should be," if you like, but don't move
the goalposts by saying that the clear meaning of the Constitution is
other than it actually is.

> Only a tiny handful of European countries still grant birthright
> citizenship and they are not the ones people are chomping at the bit to move
> to. A solution to the anchor baby problem has been key in most all
> discussion of immigration reform during the last couple decades. To contend
> that solutions to this problem have not been advanced in the last century
> would be very much in error.

"Solutions to the anchor baby problem" have been key in right-wing
militia newsletters for the past century. No bills advancing an end to
birthright citizenship have made it out of committee in the past 30
years, and -- even if they did -- they would likely fail for the same
reason that Wong Kim Ark ended up a US citizen: the "jurisdiction of
the United States" is coexistant with its territorial boundaries.

-- ACS

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com