[Vision2020] Myanmar Cyclone Nargis Kills 10,000+

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon May 5 13:39:32 PDT 2008

I had been tracking cyclone Nargis in the Bay of Bengal with interest last
week.  Joint Typhoon Warning Center predicted Nargis to grow into a Category
4 cyclone, with sustained winds over 131 mph.  Bangladesh was potentially a
target, an area hit by devastating cyclone Sidr, a category 4 cyclone, less
than six months ago.  I waited to see how Nargis developed, and it stopped
wind speed increase, turning east toward Myanmar.  It was a category one or
two cyclone just before landfall.  It turned out to be far more devastating
than it might have been predicted:

Just released info on cyclone Nargis's impacts in Myanmar:

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/E7472798-CE2F-4749-B5ED-1AF0726318D9.htm
Article on the synergy between climate change, extremism and national
security focusing on cyclone Sidr that hit Bangladesh November, 2007:

http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/blogs/shapley/bangladesh-global-warming-terrorism-55111408