[Vision2020] U.S. Approves Mexican Consulate for Boise

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun May 4 17:28:04 PDT 2008

Chas,

  Why do you reject some of my statements because I lack providing sources to some of my claims, yet accept the statements of Rainford who doesn't site a single source in his claims? Seems biased.

  Second, Rainfords claims, have nothing to do with illegal labor, but Latino workers, they are not synonymous. And I think it is wrong to slander all Latinos in Idaho with such an association.

  Third, according to Rainford's own claims, which I doubt validity, illegal labor only contributes 2% of ten billion dollars, or $4 million.

  Fourth, the mistreatment of illegal laborers for Idaho should not be given a dollar amount. Slave labor is not good, regardless of the fortune it brings to the community or the businesses that profit from it.

  Fifth, how many billions are lost in trade with Mexico and other nations with illegal laborers in the US?

  Finally, how has the quality of life for Idahoans been impacted by the result of increased cheap labor in a shrinking labor oriented market? Real wages are on a decline.

  Rainford is simple throwing numbers out there, that have nothing to do with morality or modern industrialized slavery, nor the overall quality of life experience by Idahoans as the number of illegal laborers increases. $10 billion for 150,000 more people isn't a better life for Idahoans if all the money goes to just a handful of greedy corporations and businesses. Which it apparently it is, because it sure as hell isn't going to our wages, roads, or schools.

  Best Regards,

  Donovan

Chasuk <chasuk at gmail.com> wrote:
  I detect fragments of truth from each of the contributors on this subject.

Tom Hansen did lob the first personal attack (at Donovan), but Donovan
didn't I address any of the statements by Rainford, despite his
claim.

Keely and Tom made some good points, which Donovan ignored, and
Donovan made some good points, which everyone ignored. I suggest that
Donovan's situation would be improved if he at least tried to
substantiate his claims, perhaps with a few citations (which the
Internet makes incredibly easy).

I'm glad that Boise will be getting a Mexican consulate, after
reviewing the evidence from all sides. Rainford's statistics were the
most convincing. He wrote:

"Over 150,000 Latinos, most of whom come from Mexico, now live and work in
Idaho. Their combined economic contribution to the state well exceeds $10
billion annually. Less than 2 percent of immigrants from Mexico are
undocumented. In many cases, the "illegality" of their presence stemmed
from paperwork that had expired due to the excessive "backlogs" in the
current immigration process, versus falsification of documentation. And in
cases where documents were falsified, the immigrant could have made legal
choices were a representative from the Mexican government available to
assist."

I don't see anything that Donovan has said which has more persuasive
power or relevance than those bare facts.

Chas

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com