[Vision2020] Sali Seeks to Delay Mexican Consulate

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun May 4 14:09:28 PDT 2008

Hansen,

  I already addressed the misstatements by Fr. Rainford. I was moving on to address your ill-informed additions.

  And I think it was you, not me, that lost the bet to see who go the longest on not launching a personal insult at another V member. A bet you squelched on as we all recall.

  Best Regards,

  Donovan

Tom Hansen <thansen at moscow.com> wrote:
  So, instead of confronting the facts concerning Sali's opposition to a
Mexican consultate in Idaho (as excellently discussed by Will Rainford
[legislative advocate for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Boise] below)
Arnold reverts to name-calling and unsubstantiated falsehoods.

Nope. Nothing new here.

Rock on, Donnie-boy.

Tom "Who is employed in the field in which he graduated" Hansen
Moscow, Idaho

> Hansen,
>
> I think your position at UI is a perfect example of wasted taxpayer
money. Sitting there
researching Dale Courtney's Blog and chatting on the Vision 2020. Your ass
is no doubt
just an expensive paperweight for a $200 student matriculation fee bought
chair in a $3
million cushy building bought with student fees tucked under a line item
for a $10 million
Student Recreation Building that is really overpriced gym, also a colossal
UI monetary
f-up. Have you ever held a job being paid by a private enterprise, or have
you always been
totally dependent on the government?

> BTW, I only spent 5 years at UI, hardly a career, private companies
and I paid for it
myself, the government didn't. The average stay for a UI student is
actually 5.5 years or
11 semesters, look it up some time smart guy.

> Best Regards,
>
> Donovan
>

> Tom Hansen wrote:
> In a statement by Will Rainford (legislative advocate for the Roman
> Catholic Diocese of Boise) in the Idaho Statesman at:
>
> http://www.idahostatesman.com/readersopinion/story/345635.html

> Will Rainford: Rep. Sali doesn't understand the purpose of a country's
> consulate
>
> Like Don Quixote, Rep. Bill Sali charges about, fighting dragons where
> there are none.
>
> Recently, he denounced the creation of a Mexican consulate in Idaho. His
> claim is that, were a Mexican consulate to be established in Idaho, our
> state would be flooded with undocumented immigrants. And so, he has
taken
> upon himself the fight against the establishment of the consulate in
Boise.

> But what may be politically good for Rep. Sali is not good economically
> for the state of Idaho. After all, Idaho and Mexico are strong economic
> partners, with Idaho establishing a trade office in Jalisco, Mexico, our
> sister city south of the border.
>
> A Mexican Consulate in Idaho would further strengthen this economic
> partnership. Billions of dollars in trade flow back and forth between
> Idaho and Mexico. Annually, Idaho's produce and products earn more than
> $100 million south of the border. That's a whole lot of cheese, potatoes
> and wheat, not to mention hundreds of other commodities sold to Mexico.
In
> the Magic Valley alone, farmers enjoyed the sale of more than $1.7
million
> in bean seeds to Mexico. Mexico is Idaho's second largest trade partner.
> Do we really want to stifle that trade as a result of our elected
> congressman's political posturing?
>
> Consulates, Mexico's or others,' are not in the business of breaking the
> laws of the United States. They do not ferret undocumented immigrants in
> under our noses. Too much is at stake for them to do so.
>
> Rep. Sali seems to believe that Mexico is not to be trusted; that the
> consulate is an agent of the enemy; that the consulate is the haven of
> undocumented immigrants. Nothing could be further from the truth.
>
> What is the truth about the purpose and function of foreign consulates?
> They are intended to assist the citizen of the represented country in
> official relation to the United States and the host state.
>
> In Idaho, that means the Mexican consulate would facilitate the rights
and
> responsibilities of its citizens living here.
>
> Over 150,000 Latinos, most of whom come from Mexico, now live and work
in
> Idaho. Their combined economic contribution to the state well exceeds
$10
> billion annually. Less than 2 percent of immigrants from Mexico are
> undocumented. In many cases, the "illegality" of their presence stemmed
> from paperwork that had expired due to the excessive "backlogs" in the
> current immigration process, versus falsification of documentation. And
in
> cases where documents were falsified, the immigrant could have made
legal
> choices were a representative from the Mexican government available to
> assist.
>
> The Mexican consulate is an official presence of the Mexican government.
> We would be bringing one of our largest trade partners here to help
> facilitate trade and commerce, while ensuring the rights and
> responsibilities of its citizens are upheld. We need such a presence in
> Idaho.
>
> Rep. Sali sees dragons where there are only windmills. Unfortunately, he
> misleads his constituents who need the economic windmills he seeks to
> slay.
>
> Let us welcome and embrace one of our major trade partners in our state,
> including its thousands of hard working, family-loving immigrants who
call
> Idaho home.
>
> Will Rainford is the legislative advocate, Roman Catholic Diocese of
> Boise.

> Perhaps if Arnold is co concerned about government entities providing
safe
> haven for illegal activities, he should look into "career" students
> receiving federally-subsidized financial aid. Now, THERE is the
> [...]
it now.

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)

http://www.fsr.com/

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com