[Vision2020] manual reel lawn mowers

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri May 2 18:07:22 PDT 2008

I'd like to thank everybody for their responses on this.

I picked up a Scott's Classic (I think that's what it's called) at
Moscow Building Supply.  I looked at Tri-State, but I didn't ask anybody
so maybe I missed them.  It took me about 15 minutes to put the handle
on, so it would take someone with more than a two-year old's sense of
the mechanical about 10 minutes.

I mowed my front lawn, which took a little more out of me than it would
normally have done, but I also didn't spend half an hour resuscitating
my lawn mower and going and getting new gas for it.  The first time you
use it, it will be rough if you have lots of little tree limbs that have
accumulated over the winter like I did.  I had to stop and pick up every
tree limb of any size I could find and move them off of the lawn.  The
reel mower hits one and then stops, so you have to back the blades up a
short amount manually to dislodge whatever got stuck.  I did this
probably twenty times.  You also have to run it over crab grass a few
times, because it's so light that it just bends unless you hit it with a
quick burst.  You also move quicker than I'm used to to get a good cut,
and you tend to overlap more because you might miss some long grass that
bent instead of being cut.  I realized I'd learned to go slow, because
going too fast with a gas-powered motor can lug the engine.  Faster is
better with a reel mower, because you are in effect revving the engine
that way.  You are the engine.

On the plus side, there was no loud engine sound.  The sound of the
blades cutting the grass was actually kind of relaxing.  You also tend
to get mesmerized if you watch it cut the grass as you push it along,
but that might just be me.  It's a lot lighter, so moving it around is
not very hard work.  You also don't have to worry about gas or oil
leaking out if you turn it over or turn it upside down.  You also don't
feel as if the entire neighborhood is watching you struggle with the
damn mower.  You can also easily stop and come back to it, since you
don't feel as if you have to finish because you just got the stupid
thing started.  I think the next few times mowing the front yard will be
easy, because the grass will have come back a little stronger.  I've
also learned a little bit about the best way to use it.  The grass also
looks better, probably because it's not ripped off at high speed but
sliced off like with scissors.

All-in-all, I'm glad I bought one.  I think I paid $130 after taxes for
it.  There was a cheaper one, but I had seen this one reviewed online
and it got pretty good reviews.

Paul