[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for May 2, 2008

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri May 2 05:44:26 PDT 2008

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for May 2, 2008.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends
May 2, 2008

Dear Friends,

This week in my annual State of the University address, I reported on the
New Era at the University of Idaho, one characterized by strength, pride
and progress, along with resilient, ambitious, and aspirational.  I am
humbled and encouraged by the stunning work ethic and dedication to
learning, living and leading that our community possesses. These qualities
have made possible the recognition our University enjoys today for high-
quality academics, research and creative activity; the unparalleled
student life experience we offer; and our record of alumni achievement.

"Challenged" is an appropriate description for our University today, too.
With change always comes challenge, and in my address I acknowledged the
present challenges that our community is facing together:  increased
costs, new budgeting requirements, strategic planning, tough internal
analysis of our graduate and research programs, and fundraising demands.
Yet we are strong academically, strong financially, strong in research and
strong with respect to our students. We educate, foster creativity,
encourage excellence and reward service - and in the end, we create
leaders for society.

Our immediate priorities continue to address people, programs and place.
We continue to implement our Strategic Action Plan with an emphasis on
ensuring a positive, productive culture and climate for our students and
employees - one that is dynamic and vital, and that functions efficiently
and effectively. We are on track to meet our six-year goal for improving
employee compensation. In the next weeks, we will begin important work on
our graduate education and research programs by identifying ways to foster
program strengths and encourage multidisciplinary opportunities. Private
support is a critical element to our future success. We will continue to
build our fundraising activities to generate vital financial support for
our students, faculty, programs and facilities.

A great university is a dynamic institution that embraces the push of need
and the pull of opportunity. That certainly describes the University of
Idaho, and need and opportunity will guide us as we address our critical
priorities. We commit to engage in innovative thinking and consider
unconventional actions to achieve our goals. We must continue to act on
our vision and aspire to be student-centered in all we do, to be
nationally competitive and to focus on the emerging needs of the next
century.

A video download of the State of the University address is available at:

www.president.uidaho.edu/presentations.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

Approximately 118 students are eligible for graduation from the University
of Idaho Coeur d'Alene on Monday, May 5 at 7:30 p.m. The ceremony takes
place at the Schuler Auditorium in Boswell Hall at North Idaho College.
The commencement address will be given by Paul Anderson, who retired this
year as Avista Utilities' Coeur d'Alene area manager. A President's
Medallion will be given to educator and health care advocate Lidwina
Dirne. She led a community effort to provide health care assistance to
those in need that resulted in The Lake City Health Care, which opened in
1989. The facility has been renamed the Dirne Community Health Center in
her honor. Earlier this week, commencement ceremonies were held at
University of Idaho Boise and University of Idaho Idaho Falls. Moscow
campus and College of Law commencement is May 10. For more information, go
to:

www.uidaho.edu/commencement

The University of Idaho placed 46th out of more than 500 schools that
competed in this year's William Lowell Putnam Competition. The premier
undergraduate mathematics competition takes three students from each
competing school and pits their Putnam exam scores against one another to
see which school fares the best. Idaho students in the competition were
Jason Fitch, a double major in mechanical engineering and mathematics;
Jonathan Gaffney, mathematics major and student body president; and Bryan
Wilson, mathematics major and Goldwater scholar.

Fred Gleave, a longtime resident of Spokane, Wash., left an estate of more
than $2 million for scholarships at the University of Idaho. Although Fred
was unable to attend college, he was a firm believer in both the value of
higher education and the University of Idaho. A native of Potlatch, he was
a life-long acquaintance of Malcolm Renfrew's, a retired emeritus faculty
member and department head, and out of this friendship grew Fred's
allegiance to Idaho. Fred had a long and distinguished career as director
of public relations with Washington Water Power, now Avista Corporation.
In the early '90s, following the death of his wife, Janice, Fred created
the Fred and Janice Gleave Scholarship Endowment. Fred died in June 2006,
and the entire portion of his estate coming to the University of Idaho was
distributed to this fund. For more information on creating an endowment,
contact Ed McBride, senior director of development at (208) 885-9026 or
mcbride at uidaho.edu.

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3