[Vision2020] Legislative Update 14 from Rep. Trail - March 24-28

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Sun Mar 30 09:54:09 PDT 2008

LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER XIV - MARCH 24-28/2008

Constituents:   With luck the Idaho Legislature will Sine Die about
Wednesday  --  just past April Fools Day.   Winter's hold on Boise still
prevails with temperatures in the 20's and some scattered snow showers.

Many Idahoans thing we've done enough damage already this session.  I'm
reminded of what Mark Twain once said, "While the Legislature is in session
no man's life, liberty, or property is safe."  There may be some truth in
this statement.

On March 24th Governor Otter signed HB501  --  the Victim Shield Law which
helps protects the addresses of victims of domestic violence through the
Secretary of States Office.  Fran Halstead, Kendrick, who remained in
hiding for more than 22 years and testified for the bill, and Carl
Hulquist, Moscow Community Activist, who organized the community to support
the bill were present as well as a representative of Moscow's Alternative
to Violence.  Secretary of State, Ben Ysursa, Rep. Ringo, and I were also
there to see the bill signed.   The Secretary of State estimates that the
program may assist up to 500 victims of domestic violence the first year of
the program.

The E Bay auction of the pen that the Governor used to sign SB1260  --  Dog
Fighting/Felony Penalty sold for $405.  The money will go to our local
animal shelter.  A constituent notified me that two men in Spokane were
convicted on dog fighting charges.  For dog lovers, research supports the
notion that music affects dogs, and that they like simple melodies, soft
volumes and slow tempos which seem to soothe the canine soul.  Many animal
shelters and boarding kennels use music to calm dogs in their care.

And now to the issues taking up the final moments of the Legislative session:

  1.  SB1447  --  This is the bill which would further reduce state
employee medical benefits upon retirement.   It has often been said that
the state budget is balanced on the backs of state employees.  If this bill
passes it will be on the broken backs of state employees.  It follows the
same pattern as occurred to faculty at a local university.

 Supporters of the bill say the measure will reduce the state's $442
million unfunded liability.  According to my analysis the bill breaks long
held promises to state workers by leaving them without fall back health
care coverage once they retire.  The bill would cap medical benefits for
current retirees and eliminate medical retirement benefits for future
hires.  I've seldom seen such strong armed attempts by the Governor's
Office to force a bill through.  Even the bill's proponents admit there are
major flaws in the bill and that state employees have not been involved in
the process of the crafting of the bill.  We should study the legislation
for a year and bring together all of the stakeholders. What we are about to
do with state employees is a travesty.

  2.  HB599A  --  This is the proposed IACI (Idaho Association of Commerce
and Industry) bill to eliminate the property tax on business equipment.
The bill which passed the House (I voted against it) would have eliminated
$120 million over time.  The bill would have forced many entities including
Latah County to raise property taxes.  The Senate amended the bill and
proposed a cap of $75,000.  The price tag on this was only $15 million and
would have benefited 86% of the mom and pop small businesses.  I can
support this type of legislation because most jobs in Idaho are created by
small business.  However, the fat cats from IACI say they would rather see
the whole bill defeated rather than compromise.  The talk around the House
is that the bill will probably die.

  3.  HJM4 -- This is the local option tax legislation which if enacted
would go to the voters as a constitutional amendment.  If passed by the
voters, local officials could put up specific infrastructure projects for
funding.  It would take a 2/3rds vote for passage.  The legislation is
currently in the Senate and faces an extremely close vote.

  4.  Transportation  --  Idahoans will not be faced with increased gas tax
or registration fees for at least a year.  Governor Otter has crusaded for
$240 million in additional monies that the Department of Transportation
needed.  We did pass $134 million of Garvey Bonds that will be used next
year.  The Legislature could only come up with a package of about $65
million which was far less than the Governor wanted.  So both sides agreed
to do nothing until next year.  One positive note is that the Legislature
did approve about $500,000 for an audit of ITD.  The results of this audit
will used to provide assistance to the Legislature and the Governor in
making future decisions on funding state transportation needs.

  5.  Drug Rehabilitation Programs  --  The Governor's veto of $16 million
proposal came as a shock to most legislators and the public.  A cross
section of both legislators and the public studied this issue for over a
year and agreed on the required legislation.  The Senate over rode the
veto, but the House decided to negotiate.  At this time it appears that a
compromise has been reached.  The $16 million will be reduced by about 10%
but some additional supplemental funds will almost fill the void.  The
democratic process worked in this case and saved an extremely important
program.

  6.  Protection of Idaho's Children  --  Idaho will remain the only state
in the country with no system for reviewing child deaths.  The House passed
the bill but the Chairman for Health and Welfare in the Senate blocked
consideration of the bill.  The attempt to have a bill that would require
criminal checks on the backgrounds of workers at day care centers failed,
as did attempts to move legislation forward for funding pre-K programs.  No
wonder Idaho is ranked 50th in the nation in terms of these measures.

Well, that just about wraps up this session.   Please continue to send me
your comments but now use my personal e-mail address:
ttrail at moscow.com.

Thanks,

Rep. Tom Trail