[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: Uninsured adults 25 percent more likely to die

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 29 11:14:19 PDT 2008

Are you advocating a system where we pay for medical care through taxes?
Because that's what is funding yours. That's not to say that retired
military men and women don't deserve it, just that it's not a system
that will work for everyone without a much larger tax commitment.

I think we need to find a way that involves bringing in actual market
forces. The prices are so high right now because there is no incentive
to shop around, and no incentive to cut costs. Obviously you have to
walk a fine line between cutting costs a reasonable amount and cutting
them too much (or cutting important things). What happened to the idea
that health insurance was to cover accidents or catastrophic situations?
Everyone seems to use it for everything under the sun. There needs to be
some incentive to reduce the amount of unnecessary usage of the system, too.

Of course, that's just my opinion - and I'm sure it's an unpopular one.
I'm one of those people that won't even take an aspirin unless I have a
headache that is bothering me enough that I can't concentrate or if I
think the pain is worse for my body chemically than the aspirin would
be. My philosophy about it is this: the body is a complicated system
that we still don't fully understand and that is different to some
degree for everybody - try not to micromanage it at the chemical level
if you can help it. I do understand that not everyone is lucky enough to
be able to avoid it. My mother was a life-long diabetic, and was
completely reliant upon the medical care system and they saved her life
many times over and made her everyday life more enjoyable. I just choose
not to partake of the system if I can avoid it. I wish some others
would, too.

I also think that over medicating can be dangerous. You have the obvious
problem of too many little side effects multiplying, and the problem of
unknown reactions between various medicines. On top of that, you end up
masking the underlying problems sometimes. For example, if you are
having a few bouts of insomnia, try not to grab for the sleeping pills
right away. Something is causing it, look for that first and see if you
can fix it. Try a few methods of beating it first that don't involve
exotic chemicals and long lists of rare side effects.

Paul