[Vision2020] Idaho's State Senate: Why Doesn't It Care for Our Childen?

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Mar 27 15:31:27 PDT 2008

The Idaho Senate failed to address day care standards during the recent
session because, as State Senator Dean Cameron, R-Rupert, explained "We
simply do not have enough time to hear every bill and to vote on every
single bill."
http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2008-March/052771.html

And now the state senate has blocked a bill that would require
investigations into children's deaths that appear questionable, after the
House passed that same bill by a vote of 63-5.

Apparently this bill was blocked because, as Senate Health and Welfare
Chairwoman Patti Anne Lodge, R-Huston, suggests that "Idaho doesn't need
to review child deaths if every other state is already doing it."

Idaho HB511, Relating to Child Mortality Prevention
http://www3.state.id.us/oasis/H0511.html

You know.  Family values and all.

>From today's (March 27, 2008) Spokesman Review -

-----------------

Citing threat to parents' rights, senator blocks bill on child deaths

Betsy Z. Russell
Staff writer
March 27, 2008

BOISE – A Senate committee chairwoman has blocked legislation that would
have ended Idaho's distinction as the only state in the nation with no
system for reviewing child deaths.

Senate Health and Welfare Chairwoman Patti Anne Lodge, R-Huston, said
Idaho doesn't need to review child deaths if every other state is already
doing it.

"We can use the information that they've gathered," she said. "If they're
already doing it, what could be different in a child death in Utah or
Montana that we wouldn't have here? Why reinvent the wheel all the time?"

House Bill 511 passed the House on March 17 on a 63-5 vote, and it cleared
Lodge's committee on a voice vote after a public hearing. But Lodge then
asked the Senate to return the bill to her committee, where it's now dead.

"The concerns mostly were, what could this lead to?" she said. "Could this
lead to maybe more usurping of freedoms? Could parents be charged?"

Lodge noted that her children rode horses without wearing helmets when
they were growing up, and said she wouldn't want to see parents faulted
for risky but normal childhood activities like that.

Rep. Margaret Henbest, D-Boise, the bill's co-sponsor and a pediatric
nurse practitioner who works with abused children, was disappointed by
Lodge's move.

"It means that people don't have to stand up and be counted for taking a
stand on how we treat child deaths in our state," she said. "So rather
than openly debate and vote against it, pull it back to committee really
quietly."

Henbest, a respected health care expert who is retiring from the House
this year after 12 terms, said she's frustrated.

"We talk a lot about family values and children's lives in this place,"
she said. "I have trouble understanding how that can't be universally
valued."

The child mortality review legislation, which Henbest sponsored with GOP
Rep. Russ Mathews, Idaho Falls, would have created a team of doctors, law
enforcement workers and others to review unexpected child deaths in the
state that worked to to spot trends and prevent future deaths.

Idaho has periodically had such teams set up by executive order under past
governors, but it has had no regular review of child deaths since 2003, in
part because of concerns about federal health care privacy legislation.

Findings of Idaho's past child death review panels helped lead to:

• A sudden infant death syndrome, or SIDS, education program for Idaho
parents.

• New seat belt laws.

• Programs on safe firearms storage in homes with children.

• A canal safety and fencing program.

• Education programs for parents on safety restraints in cars.

The new legislation would have set up the review team under state law,
giving it full confidentiality, immunity from subpoena, and the ability to
access all records about unexpected child deaths in Idaho. The annual cost
to the state was estimated at $43,250.

Sen. Joyce Broadsword, R-Sagle, vice chairwoman of the Senate Health and
Welfare Committee, said she was undecided on the bill. She said she was
surprised when Lodge asked the Senate to return it to her committee. "But
she's my chairman and I follow her lead," Broadsword said.

Broadsword said she thought Idaho probably could coordinate information
about child deaths without a new law, possibly through another executive
order.

"Any time a child dies we need to know why and what happened," she
said. "I don't know that we need to spend a large amount of money to
research that. I think that our agencies are tracking it, we're just not
getting the coordination."

Sen. Elliot Werk, D-Boise, a committee member, said he's been frustrated
by Lodge's approach to the child death review bill and a day care
licensing bill that also died in her committee.

"For me, it's exceedingly frustrating that when we're dealing with the
lives and safety of children, we can't make progress," Werk said.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)