[Vision2020] Food/gas prices

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 01:26:36 PDT 2008

Donovan --

By pegging the value of the yuan to the dollar, the Chinese government
has undervalued it by around 30%. This, effectively, serves as a 30%
subsidy to goods sold in the US -- an advantage that we can't bring up
to the WTO because China owns such a vast quantity of
dollar-denominated debt.

Aside from the fact that this gives China a tremendous trade advantage
with the United States, this screws Chinese workers out of 30% of the
value of their paycheck. Not to mention the fact that Chinese workers
lack the factors that brought up the living standard of American
worker (a labor movement; a responsive democracy).

-- ACS