[Vision2020] The "Free Tibet" Question from a Chinese Perspective

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Mon Mar 24 22:33:37 PDT 2008

Chas writes:

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9QNKB34cJo

I provide this link with no comment other than to
observe that it is
interesting.  This isn't a perspective that one
normally sees in the
US media."

That's funny, because I saw that same youtube video
this morning.  There is definitely a campaign to get
China's view out there.

Obviously, the history of Tibet is screwed up.  But
that doesn't mean the Chinese should be excluding the
media from covering the story, because in my head I am
suspicious of a country that blocks disenting views.
>From what I can tell, the Chinese government censors
not only media, but any large grouping of like-minded
and non-conforming people, such as followers of Falun
Gung.  While the US may not have a stellar human
rights record, that doesn't mean I agree with it or
will condone China's abuses.

This video compares the US genocide of Native
Americans to the Tibetan issue and calls Americans who
criticize Tibet hypocrites because of our history.
However, I am just as concerned with human rights here
in Moscow, as well as the US's disgusting history, and
believe if we are going to spend trillions of dollars
in Iraq, on top of piles of dead bodies and pain, the
least Bush could do is tell China it needs to be held
accountable.  Otherwise, we have no argument against
being called hypocrites.

Hypocrites.

I appreciate knowing the Chinese version of Tibet, but
I still insist that we shouldn't be doing business
with a country that runs counters to our ideals, just,
for instance, to insure China will keep selling us
cheap, poisoned products at mega-chains such as
Walmart, as super as they may, or may not, be.

gclev