[Vision2020] Another Article of Interest

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Mar 23 11:12:38 PDT 2008

>From today's (March 23, 2008) Spokesman Review -

Much-lauded translator denied U.S. green card
Karen Deyoung
Washington Post
March 23, 2008

WASHINGTON – During his nearly four years as a translator for U.S. forces
in Iraq, Saman Kareem Ahmad was known for his bravery and hard work. "Sam
put his life on the line with, and for, Coalition Forces on a daily
basis," wrote Marine Capt. Trent Gibson.

Gibson's letter was part of a thick file of support – including
commendations from the secretary of the Navy and from then-Maj. Gen. David
Petraeus – that helped Ahmad migrate to the United States in 2006, among
an initial group of 50 Iraqi and Afghan translators admitted under a
special visa program.

Last month, however, the U.S. government turned down Ahmad's application
for permanent residence, known as a green card. His offense: Ahmad had
once been part of the Kurdish Democratic Party, which U.S. immigration
officials deemed an "undesignated terrorist organization" for having
sought to overthrow former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

Ahmad, a Kurd, once served in the KDP's military force, which is part of
the new Iraqi army. A U.S. ally, the KDP is now the elected government of
the Kurdish region and holds seats in the Iraqi parliament. After
consulting public Web sites, however, the U.S. Citizen and Immigration
Services determined that KDP forces "conducted full-scale armed attacks
and helped incite rebellions against Hussein's regime, most notably during
the Iran-Iraq war, Operation Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom."

Ahmad's association with a group that had attempted to overthrow a
government – even as allies in U.S.-led wars against Hussein – rendered
him "inadmissible," the agency concluded in a three-page letter dated Feb.
26.

In an interview Friday at Quantico Marine Corps Base, where he teaches
Arabic language and culture to Marines deploying to Iraq, Ahmad's voice
quavered, and his usually precise English failed him. "I am shamed," he
said. He has put off his plans to marry a seamstress who tailors Marine
uniforms. "I don't want my family live in America, they feel ashamed I'm
with a terrorist group. I want them to be proud for what I did for the
United States Marine Corps," Ahmad, 38, said.

"After I receive this letter, it's been three weeks, since then my whole
life turns upside down. You might hear from the lawyer, they're not going
to revoke your (visa), but how can you guarantee this? … I'm expecting,
they stop the process of green card, tomorrow they're going to tell you to
get out."

A nearly identical denial was sent the same day to another Iraqi Kurdish
translator living in this country, according to Thomas Ragland, an
attorney with a Washington law firm representing both men in court
challenges to the denials.

Petraeus, now the top U.S. commander in Iraq, said in an e-mail that he
did not recall Ahmad personally, but said that KDP forces had performed
valuable security services for the 101st Airborne Division he led in the
northern city of Mosul in 2003. He said he had never heard of any U.S.
agency labeling the KDP as terrorists.

Retired Marine Capt. Jason Schauble, who returned from Iraq in 2004 after
being wounded, is Ahmad's official sponsor. In a letter he appended last
week to Ahmad's immigration file, Schauble condemned whatever "faceless
bureaucracy" rejected the application. "I don't know what a foreigner has
to do that is greater than what Saman Ahmad has done in service to his
American allies," Schauble wrote.

USCIS spokesman Peter Vietti said regulations prevent him from commenting
on any specific case. After inquires about Ahmad from the Post, he
said, "I can tell you the matter is being looked into."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)