[Vision2020] Vision2020 Digest, Vol 21, Issue 122

donald edwards donaledwards at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 21 10:27:02 PDT 2008

I can relate to your experience.  Over 20 years ago I traded an old Peavey wood grain guitar plus $30 for a used "Eagle" Flying-V Gibson rip off. The intonation is way off so it would never tune right, it was impossible to not have unwanted feedback through the unshielded pick-ups or wiring and was just generallly a piece of crap, still got it though for sentimental reasons.

Years later I snagged a Jackson RR-1 Concorde with solid neck though body, shark tooth inlays, dual Seymore Duncan humbuckers and real American Floyd Rose tremolo at a pawn shop for a record $210 out the door (mind you, it was in a pawn shop in Vegas in the Crack district as a "Manager's Special" because no one who would ever venture in there would pay the original marked price of $899. New one's sell for $1500)

Though it has a few chips and dings it was well worth the price and left cash to splurge on a signature hard case and leather Dimarzio clip lock strap.  The difference in playing is night and day, no un-wanted feedback, action as smooth as silk, stays in tune for years and can handle a myriad of sounds from the crunchiest of Death Metal to smooth, fat Jazz or blues and on down the scale.  Many musicians have made sounds from this guitar that I never would have thought possible from a stereotypical "Metal God" guitar. My only wish is that it had the 7th string at the low end but I get by with tuning to D and then even Drop-C when it calls for some drastic CrunchNastiness.

Don

Message: 3Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 07:33:38 -0700From: Dave <tiedye at turbonet.com>Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Tibetan Fight for FreedomTo: vision2020 vision2020 at moscow.comMessage-ID: 47E3C742.1070901 at turbonet.comContent-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed  The other day a bought a guitar from the pawn shop. It sounds bad, it's  action is horrible, it doesn't even look very good. In short it's a  piece of junk. The model name is "American Legacy", and yep, you  guessed it, it's made in China. The irony was so extreme I just had to  have it.  Dave