[Vision2020] Tibetan Fight for Freedom

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 23:15:58 PDT 2008

Chas --

Tibet has historically been one of the independent Buddhist mountain
kingdoms, along with Nepal, Bhutan, and a number of other places that
have been folded into India over the years. They managed to stay
independent (at least from European powers) through most of the
colonial period, largely because the colonial powers had very little
interest in yak butter or Buddhism -- the country's two major exports.

The Chinese, on the other hand, were particularly interested in Tibet,
largely because owning Tibet sealed their southern border against
India. Accordingly, they have periodically invaded and asserted claims
over Tibet -- claims similar to those they have intermittently
asserted over any place where a Chinese army has ever camped, which
encompasses most of Asia.

The Tibetans don't share a genetic heritage, language, culture,
religion, or cuisine with the Chinese. They're in no way the same
people.

-- ACS