[Vision2020] Ripping the Easter Bunny's Head Off : Was:Of, By &

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 18:32:43 PDT 2008

One problem that a lot of people run into is the conflation of everyday
terms with scientific ones.  I've run across the idea many times (and
subscribed to it at one point) that a "theory gets enough evidence and
becomes a law".   This is incorrect, at least as far as I understand it.

A "theory", I think, should be renamed to be a "framework" or a
"model".  Theories are given worth more by how useful they are as
opposed to how completely correct they are.  In other words, do they
describe reality well enough to be useful in predicting things?  For
example, the theory of special relativity replaces much of Newtonian
physics, yet we don't throw Newtonian physics out because it is a highly
useful approximation at velocities that are not a significant fraction
of the speed of light.

What most people call a "theory" in everyday language is closer to being
a "hypothesis" than a "theory".  A hypothesis can be falsified, and is
pretty much defined by that fact.  A theory is judged upon its merits as
a useful tool for making predictions - one anomalous result will not
necessarily sink an entire theory.  Later, another theory may be devised
that handles the discrepancies with the first one.

A "law" is more of a description of some basic, universal principle that
appears to be true based on multiple observations over many years.  The
constancy of the speed of light and the law of inertia are two
examples.  It's not a framework, it's more of a consistently observed fact.

Anyway, that's my limited understanding of the subject.

Paul