[Vision2020] Tibetans Struggle Against an Orwellian Government

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 13:43:38 PDT 2008

Nick et. al.

Thanks for this essay.

It is appalling that China is hosting the Olympics this year.  Given China's
ongoing suppression of basic human rights, which recent incidents in Tibet
highlight, China's hosting of the Olympics is an insult to the Olympic
tradition.  China's involvement in Sudan and the Darfur genocide is alone
enough justification to boycott the 2008 Olympics:
Steven Spielberg boycotts Chinese Olympics
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/13/wspielberg113.xml

Oscar-winning film director Steven Spielberg has pulled out as artistic
adviser to the Beijing Olympics over the Chinese government's policy towards
Sudan and the conflict in Darfur.

"I find that my conscience will not allow me to continue business as usual,"
he said in a statement.

"At this point, my time and energy must be spent not on Olympic ceremonies,
but on doing all I can to help bring an end to the unspeakable crimes
against humanity that continue to be committed in Darfur."

More than 200,000 people have been killed and 2.5 million forced from their
homes in the five-year conflict between Sudan's Arab-dominated government
and Darfur's ethnic African rebels.

Human rights activists have accused China of being partly responsible for
the trouble in Darfur because of its diplomatic backing of the Sudanese
government.

Spielberg said: "Sudan's government bears the bulk of the responsibility for
these ongoing crimes, but the international community, and particularly
China, should be doing more to end the continuing suffering there.

"China's economic, military and diplomatic ties to the government of Sudan
continue to provide it with the opportunity and obligation to press for
change."

China is the biggest customer of Sudan's oil, and there have been complaints
by officials the Games were being politicised after China was the target of
Darfur advocates.

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett