[Vision2020] Local Couples React to Domestic Partner Laws

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Mar 15 08:03:15 PDT 2008

Again, thank you to Mayor Chaney and those four Moscow city council
members who voted to provide health care to domestic partners of city
employees.  It's going to be a long journey.  It's nice to know that
Moscow is willing to take that first step.

>From today's (March 15, 2008) Moscow-Pullman Daily News -

Local couples react to domestic partner laws
Expansion of rights 'aren't going unnoticed'

By Hillary Hamm

Saturday, March 15, 2008 - Page Updated at 12:00:00 AM

Charlie Anderson hoped it would happen during his lifetime.

The 24-year-old gay Washington State University graduate student is
thrilled by a recent Washington state law that expands the legal rights of
domestic partners. The law was signed Wednesday by Gov. Chris Gregoire's
signature and increases the rights and responsibilities of same-sex
couples on issues relating to guardianship, community property, estate
planning, dissolutions and taxes.

Anderson said any new rights given to same-sex couples is progress.

"I've been optimistic that I would witness the shift happen ... I'm
completely excited that the opportunity is there if we want it. It's a big
step in the right direction," he said. "It's been interesting watching the
benefits progress and grow and move toward providing domestic partnership
and maybe someday, marriage."

The expanded rights are an extension of a 2007 law, which created a state
domestic partnership registry to provide couples with increased
protection. The bill added domestic partners to sections of laws only
spouses were recognized previously, such as hospital visitations, medical
decision making, recognition on a partner's death certificate, control
over a partner's remains and belongings, and health insurance benefits for
state employees.

Approximately 3,254 couples have registered as domestic partners through
the Washington Office of the Secretary of State, Corporations Division.
Under the most recent bill, rights apply to couples currently registered
as domestic partners - or those who register in the future - and are
effective 90 days from Thursday, which was the last day of the Legislative
session.

Pullman resident Lisa Laughter is pleased by the new law, which will
recognize her partner and newborn child as a family unit as much as she
does.

Laughter and Amanda Thompson registered as domestic partners last fall,
shortly after their two-year anniversary. Laughter said she is especially
glad for the new language specific to guardianship, which will ensure
Thompson, 28, has rights as a parent when it comes to the couple's week-
old daughter, Elliott Morgan Thompson.

"That's something that we've been very concerned about - having a new
child. Just being able to have those rights is important," said the 30-
year-old Laughter, who is the child's birth mother.

Heidi Stanton, director of the WSU Gender Identity/Expression and Sexual
Orientation Resource Center and her partner of three years had a
commitment ceremony last fall. They've also registered as domestic
partners and purchased a home in Garfield.

Stanton said the timing of the expanded legal rights is good, especially
since the couple hope to have a baby within a year. She hopes the
Legislature maintains its momentum and creates more and more rights for
same-sex couples with children.

"I think it would be better if we didn't have to have the (domestic
partner) cards - if we all just had the rights," she said. "But anything
that recognizes us as equal parents is good. Protecting relationships with
children is crucial."

Thompson said she's glad to see the list of legal rights is growing,
though community property, power of attorney and public assistance issues
don't currently apply to the couple.

"A lot of these things may not apply right now, but it's good to know
they're there. It makes me feel more secure," she said. "We're definitely
moving toward same-sex marriages in this state. It's a huge step."

Anderson is pleased same sex couples can now file joint taxes - a
right "that's been a major benefit for heterosexual couples for years," he
said.

"That's a step in the right direction," he added. "I just want to thank
the governor. These changes aren't going unnoticed in the (gay and
lesbian) community."

Reminder:  Friendship Square, 12:00 noon, next Saturday (March 22nd).  BE
THERE!

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"People who ridicule others while hiding behind anonymous monikers in chat-
room forums are neither brave nor clever."

- Latah County Sheriff Wayne Rausch (August 21,
2007)