[Vision2020] Wednesday Afternoon Comedy Break

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Mar 12 15:04:04 PDT 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYJqSWLCB60

President George W. Bush donned a cowboy hat and sang an early goodbye to
Washington on Saturday night with a performance that lampooned White House
journalists and Vice President Dick Cheney among others.

Bush surprised cabinet secretaries, diplomatic officials and journalists
at the annual Gridiron dinner by taking the stage and giving the first
public singing performance of his eight-year presidency, which ends in
January 2009.

To the tune of country song "Green Green Grass of Home," Bush sang of
longing for his ranch in Crawford, Texas and his dog Barney.

"And there to meet me is my mama and my papa, down the lane I look and
here comes Barney, heart of gold and breath like honey; it's good to touch
the brown brown grass of home."

Bush, singing only slightly off key, then turned to some of the long-term
members of his team including Cheney and Secretary of State Condoleezza
Rice.

"For there's Condi and Dick, my old compadre, talking to me about some oil
rich Saudi, but soon I'll touch the brown brown grass of home."

"That old White house is behind me, I am once again carefree, don't have
to worry 'bout a crisis in Pyongyang. Down the lane I look, Dick Cheney is
strolling with documents he'd been withholding, it's good to touch the
brown brown grass of home."

Bush told the audience, which erupted in applause and gave him a standing
ovation, that they had witnessed "the first and final performance of
George Bush and the Busharoos."

The Gridiron Club holds an annual dinner at which journalists put on songs
and skits lampooning Democrats and Republicans alike.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Pro patria, vets.