[Vision2020] Personal Water Savings

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Tue Mar 11 08:38:43 PDT 2008

When I was in New Zealand and Australia a couple of years ago I
noticed that the two-flush toilets were common in their hotels. You
press the #1 button for minor flushes and the #2 button for a big
flush. Simple.

In Japan Toto brand toilets are universal. The Hilton Garden Hotel
near the Spokane airport also has Toto toilets (not named after
Dorothy's little dog in the Wizard of Oz). They use a minimum of
water. But the Hilton Garden has no volume control on the shower (in
the tub, of course), so that sort of cancels out any saving of water
the Totos might provide. And it also wastes a lot of heat for the hot
water.

Ralph