[Vision2020] 65 acre feet of water equals $2 million of food

g. crabtree jampot at roadrunner.com
Wed Mar 5 07:50:12 PST 2008

Wednesday 080305 at 5:25A.M.

What do you imagine the difference is between WSU's organic farm and the
imaginary Hawkins development farm that you seem to think would solve all
the health, economic, and environmental woes or the Palouse?

Why do you imagine that a local entrepreneur hasn't acquired 204 acres of
"some of the most fertile farm land in the world" and become the fresh
organic produce king of the Moscow-Pullman corridor?

Could it be that WSU's quaint little farm has some very distinct advantages
that a privately operated concern doesn't?

WSU's organic hobby farm has:

>Tax free land, provided to the operator at no cost.

>All seed, supplies, and equipment are provided at no cost by the state.

>No need to service the debt of an operating line of credit or mortgage.

>No cost for labor or services, not just farm hands but lawyer, accountant,
>fuel distributor, etc.

>Most importantly, no requirement to generate a profit.

If you think that these minor little considerations are of no consequence, I
encourage you to join together with a couple of your pals, purchase some
land in the corridor, and give it a go. I'll completely leave aside for now
the questionable notion that you'll be able to find 20,400 like minded
people who are anxious to devour puny, bug nibbled veggies for a premium
price. I'm guessing that after a few years (very few) of dealing with real
world requirements of profit and loss  you'll be only too happy to sell your
little gold mine to whoever will give you enough to retire your accumulated
and ever expanding debt. Perhaps by then Hawkins II will be ready for
development.