[Vision2020] Synthetic Life Forms: Craig Venter On Climate Change

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 1 21:08:28 PST 2008

Ted Moffett wrote:

> In closing:
>
> It is my hope that we can embrace, not fear, the necessary science to
> help our planet.
>
> I feel it is imperative that we begin to find ways to adapt to climate
> change, while at the same time working to mitigate it. Unfortunately
> we are already on a path toward significant change, but if we apply
> ourselves I believe we can find ways to create alternatives to burning
> oil and coal.  We need multiple simultaneous approaches to solve this
> problem, with the goal of net zero carbon emissions to stabilize
> atmospheric concentrations and ensure our survival.

I hate to be the voice of doom and gloom here, but it may not be that
simple.  According to this article from Space.com
(http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/sun_output_030320.html), the
"Total Solar Irradiance" which measures the total solar energy output in
all wavelengths has increased 0.1 percent in the last 24 years.  While
this seems a small number, it could have caused notable climate change
if the increase has been sustained for a century or more.  There is
reason to believe that it has, though direct measurements by satellites
have only been accurate enough to measure this for 24 years.

Of course, pumping lots of CO2 into the atmosphere has only exacerbated
the situation and reducing our carbon footprint would certainly help.
If, in fact, the Sun's variation is one of the major factors of climate
change as this study suggests, then this will only help to a certain
degree.  We may be in need of some out-of-the-box thinking on this one,
stabilizing atmospheric CO2 concentrations may not be enough.

Paul