[Vision2020] Fw: CRAPO: GAS BILL TAKES ACTION FOR PRICE RELIEF

lfalen lfalen at turbonet.com
Sun Jun 29 12:23:24 PDT 2008

-----Original message-----

From: "Crapo News Release (Crapo)" newsclips at crapo.senate.gov
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:23:54 -0700
Subject: CRAPO:  GAS BILL TAKES ACTION FOR PRICE RELIEF

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT:    Susan Wheeler (202) 224-5150

June 26, 2008
Lindsay Nothern (208) 344-1108

CRAPO:  GAS BILL TAKES ACTION FOR PRICE RELIEF

Co-sponsors the Gas Price Reduction Act of 2008

Washington, DC - Idaho Senator Mike Crapo announced today that he is
co-sponsoring the Gas Price Reduction Act of 2008 because it seeks to
both reduce prices at the pump and provide long-term energy policy
specific to vehicle fuels that will benefit consumers and the
environment.  Crapo joined with more than 40 other Senators, including
Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell, in introducing the legislation
today.

"The key to our energy future is to take a balanced approach to domestic
production, conservation and alternative fuel development," said Crapo,
a member of the Senate Renewable and Energy Efficiency Caucus.  "This
legislation may be our best chance to see price relief because it
addresses all the major areas of debate on gas prices-increased domestic
production off-shore and possible oil shale development, utilizing more
electric and alternative fuel vehicles, and strengthening oversight of
oil futures trading to prevent abuses which could affect prices."

Crapo noted studies show that oil shale reserves centered in Utah,
Colorado and Wyoming could hold up to three times the oil reserves of
Saudi Arabia and that deep-sea exploration could produce more oil than
all the exports from the Persian Gulf over the past 15 years.

"This legislation frees our nation to aggressively move to become much
less dependent on foreign sources of energy," Crapo added.  "Energy
independence and a transition to alternative and reusable forms of
energy are critical to our long-term economic security."