[Vision2020] More Summer Reading

Warren Hayman whayman at roadrunner.com
Wed Jun 25 15:10:33 PDT 2008

Hello All,

Another Moscow author reading suggestion-- Buddy Levy's new book of historical nonfiction arrived on the shelves and at Bookpeople this week. Conquistador relates the story of Cortez and Montezuma, the fall of an empire, etc. Buddy is a meticulous researcher and a helluva good writer, and the story therein underpins the overtaking of the "New World." Necessary knowledge, I would say, to help in understanding the fomenting of our culture. I remember, for example, hearing the poet W. S, Merwin some time ago in Tucson talking about the Vietnam war. He claimed that Vietnam did not begin at DienBien Phu or later. Rather, it began when the first Spaniard plunged a knife into the back of the first Mayan he encountered.

It should be a good read, as well as those recommended by Bookpeople earlier-- Jackalope Dreams by Mary Blew (her first novel in a lifetime of prose writing). Stephanie Lenox's The Heart That Lies Outside the Body, which uses the personae of Guinness record holders of weird events (such as the title voice whose heart is outside of his body and he is still alive, the world's oldest male stripper, a human cannonball team, and so on in the poems. Also Jeff Jones' Stratus Opacus which I am still finishing and am grateful for the copy he gave me (Jeff, if you're reading this, I owe you ten bucks or twelve poems or both). And so on with all of the others Bookpeople mentioned before. We have superb talent right here in the deeply troubled psyche of Moscow.

I'd be happy to recommend a couple of Montanans as well.

Read locally, write globally (sorry Daily News),

Warren Hayman