[Vision2020] Basic American Values

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jun 24 11:37:17 PDT 2008

>From "Character Counts" at:

http://tinyurl.com/4ffy8h

Basic American Values
By Michael Josephson

A foundational principle underlying the American legal system is “It’s
better that 10 guilty men go free than one innocent person suffer.” Many
provisions of the Constitution seek to prevent arbitrary detentions and
unjust convictions.

Among them are prohibiting coercive interrogation and protecting the
rights to a trial by jury, a speedy trial, attorney representation,
witness cross-examination, and remaining silent. In addition, we require
the government to prove a defendant’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

This imposing array of prosecutorial hurdles is supplemented by habeas
corpus, the right of every person to a court hearing to determine if
confinement before trial is lawful.

Sadly, our commitment to the values underlying these legal procedures
failed to withstand public fear and anger generated by the attack on Pearl
Harbor. Under the banner of national security, more than 100,000 people of
Japanese ancestry were confined in internment camps for three years
without any hearing.

This is an important context to understand the controversy surrounding the
recent split decision of the Supreme Court to grant prisoners at
Guantanamo Bay the right to a habeas corpus hearing to determine whether
the government has legitimate grounds to continue their confinement.

There are valid legal arguments about the applicability of the
Constitution in this case, but the root of the issue is an ethical
question about what we believe and what we stand for.

I hope we’ll have the courage to overcome our fears and stand by our
historic commitment that every individual has the inherent right to be
judged on facts, not fears, and evidence rather than suspicions.

This is Michael Josephson reminding you that character counts.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)