[Vision2020] More than one path to salvation

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 10:50:43 PDT 2008

Ralph --

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The Torah isn't too big on the concept of Heaven,
except in the cases Ezekiel and Enoch.

But everytime you bring this up, you ignore Judaism as it's been
practiced for the past 2000 years. The concept of Heaven has been an
explicit part of Judaism since at least the Babylonian captivity. It's
certainly present in the Talmud. And every time you bring it up, it's
to draw a negative contrast with Christianity.

You make exactly the same mistake with Buddhism, and for exactly the
same reason: you confuse the actual practice of a religion with the
standpoint of its authoritative texts, specifically to draw a negative
contrast with Christianity.

You're right that the Buddha of the Pali Sutras was more concerned
with the temporal suffering of humans than the fate (or even the
existence) an indivisible, immortal soul. But you elide the actual
practice of the religion. In this case, the "pure form" of Theravada
Buddhism is seldom practiced outside a monastic context: in its main
geographic area in Southeast Asia, it is almost invariably overlaid on
ancestor-worshipping or spirit-venerating hedge religions. This
necessarily requires an afterlife, or at least a "spirit world."

-- ACS