[Vision2020] DoD Announces Nomination of First Female Four-Star General

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Jun 23 14:48:13 PDT 2008

LTG Ann E. Dunwoody
http://tinyurl.com/4tkqk9

[Note:  See that top badge above her left breast pocket?  The badge
depicting a parachute with wings and a wreath-enclustered star on top of
it?  That means that she is Jump Master qualified and can jump out of an
airplane any time, anywhere.  Me?  I prefer an aisle seat.)

>From the US Department of Defense at:

DoD Announces Nomination of First Female Four-Star General

Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates announced today that the President
has nominated Lt. Gen. Ann E. Dunwoody of the Army for appointment to the
grade of general and assignment as commander, Army Materiel Command.

"Women continue to achieve great success and make invaluable contributions
to the defense of this nation. This is an historic occasion for the
Department of Defense and I am proud to nominate Lt. Gen. Ann Dunwoody for
a fourth star,” said Secretary Gates. “Her 33 years of service,
highlighted by extraordinary leadership and devotion to duty, make her
exceptionally qualified for this senior position.”

Lt. Gen. Dunwoody was commissioned in 1975 and has served in several
positions of command, to include commanding general of Army Combined Arms
Support Command and Fort Lee, and deputy chief of staff, Logistics.

Lt. Gen. Dunwoody is currently the deputy commanding general/chief of
staff, Army Materiel Command. If confirmed by the Senate, she will be the
first female four-star general in American history.

The first female service member to achieve the rank of Brigadier General
was Col. Anna Mae Hays, chief of the Army Nurse Corps, on June 11, 1970.
There are currently 57 active-duty female general officers in the Armed
Forces, five of whom are lieutenant generals.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)