[Vision2020] Our Troops Deserve Better Support When They Come

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Jun 21 06:41:41 PDT 2008

Again, Arnold has absolutely NO CLUE.

I am a lifetime member of Disabled American Vets (membership which
requires considerably more than a regular fee) and have been in regular
contact with its regional representative in Lewiston, as well as
monitoring various VA activities.

"Arnold" stated:

"The biggest problem with VA hospitals is that they are not in enough
locations and that they do not service all Veterans."

HUH?!?!?!?

Although I know the answers to these questions, I will ask "Arnold" just
the same.

Since the "biggest problem with VA hospitals is that they are not in
enough locations", why are more and more of them being closed down . . .
like the one that used to be located in the Tri-cities area?

Why is the VA hospital in Spokane considered for termination almost on an
annual basis, as they reduce the number of available programs?

When I first moved to Moscow, back in 1992, the number of physicians that
accepted Tri-Care (health insurance provider for active duty and retired
military personnel) could be counted on one hand (and they were primarily
general practitioners).  Today, a considerably larger percentage of
physicians in Moscow accept Tri-Care.

Yes.  I realize that I am talking about retirees.  But, these same
resources must be available to ALL veterans.

The primary reason why there are fewer and fewer VA hospitals available to
all veterans has to do with the federal budget.  As more and more tax cuts
are introduced and made permanent, the smaller the federal budget.  The
smaller the federal budget, the less money there is to subsidize various
departments.  The less money there is to subsidize departments (i.e. the
Department of Veterans Afairs - www.va.org), the more those departments
must redefine their programs (trim here, trim there, eliminate this,
eliminate that).

"Arnold" goes on to utter:

"I frankly, don't believe we should have VA Hospitals. Instead, any US
Veteran should be able to walk into any clinic or hospital, and visit any
doctor and get any necessary treatment they need. The hospital and doctor
should gladly take any insurance payment the veteran is able to offer,
whether it be Blue Shield Plus or the last piece of gum melted in the
bottom of his pocket."

The veteran NEEDS VA hospitals!  There are many, MANY veterans that simply
cannot afford insurance, or haven't any of those "many veterans", that you
take to private hospitals, mentioned that to you?

And don't even get me started on the ever-increasing number of homeless
veterans.

Pro patria,

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)