[Vision2020] Gitmo

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 17 22:46:32 PDT 2008

Sunil,

Nobody is arguing that innocent people you claim are detained at GTMO should be denied civil rights. Obviously, if there is one single person in any type of imprisonment or camp, it is an injustice to that person.

If in fact people are lying to the US Government to falsely imprison their enemies, causing a impediment on finding real terrorists, and an injustice to innocent people, the punishment should be harsh to those that lied. Groups that help the US stop terrorism should be rewarded for their assistance. Likewise, groups that impede the US and assist terrorist by lying and giving us false information and framing innocent men, should be harshly dealt with.

However, I don't believe the government should be prevented from preventing a nuclear holocaust, or from detaining people deemed to be a national security threat simple because we cannot guarantee that all person contained and held for such purposes are in fact able and willing to commit such acts.

Individual rights are important. Very important. But understand, they are not more important than rights of an entire nation to be safe and free from being blown up at work, school, or home.

Unlawful Combatants have never had US Civilian Rights. So to claim these rights have always existed is a lie. And certainly never practiced or asserted by any previous wars.

The rule is simple. Don't torture, and only hold the detainees until conflicts have ended.

Best Regards,

Donovan