[Vision2020] Fwd: Tax Commission

Tom Trail ttrail at moscow.com
Tue Jun 17 19:55:21 PDT 2008

>Visionaries

Stan Howland has worked for the Idaho Tax Commission for almost 20 years. His
recent report hit the news several weeks ago allegedly exposing "deals" cut
by Idaho Tax Commissioners with out of state businesses to reduce their taxes
owed to Idaho.  These are businesses that have their corporate headquarters
out of state but do business in Idaho and owe the State taxes.  Auditors
from the Tax Commission pursue these companies and present them with a tax
bill owed the State.  I remember that several years under Gov. Batt these
auditors recovered more than $20 million/year and the average auditor collected
more than one million per auditor--not a bad return.

Mr. Howland reports that in his investigation it was "apparent" that
Commissioners from the Idaho Tax Commission cut deals with out of
state
businesses thereby reducing their tax bill.  He also pointed out that the
average Idaho citizen does not have this luxury to "cut" deals.  No charges
were made that commissioners profited from this practice but Mr. Howland
was greatly disturbed that the practice was costing Idaho millions of dollars
in lost revenue.  His second and third reports are attached.

Rep. Tom Trail

--
Dr. Tom Trail
International Trails