[Vision2020] Respect Vision 2020

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jun 17 05:41:53 PDT 2008

I agree, Warren.

May I suggest that if a thread's "shelf life" extends beyond a reasonable
length of time (say, a couple days) AND the dialogue appears to be
restricted to just a couple Viz subscribers, that the thread be coninued
off list?

Just an idea that I am certain will result in more flack than a mature
exchange of ideas.

Thoughts, Viz?

> Hello again All,
>
> Now that two dogs are not vying for the attention of my hands and causing
a> n inadvertent "send" click, let me begin again.

> My concern was neither the content nor context of postings. Rather, the
she> er volume of what amounts to a couple of people texting each other
multiple>  times quickly, and thus, from my perspective, cluttering the
inboxes of
hu> ndreds in what seems to be minute elaborations of grammatical tropes,
persp> ectives, and one-upmanship. Some of the posts make even Achilles and
Agamem> non at the beginning of the Iliad appear rational.

> Supreme Court rulings, for example, have cogency, coherency, and
relevance
> even here in Moscow. I would hesitate to call any one topic unimportant
or
> irrevelant, and enjoy the opportunity to learn from all of them. I don't
le> arn much at all from two or three folks engaging in vitriol-- take it
off-l> ist, maybe? Talk it out at a downtown venue? Or at least give it a
day to
r> eflect prior to reply. This may have been the operant mindset within Ms.
Sw> anson's ad nauseum phrase earlier today-- not the topoi themselves, but
the>  iteration and reiteration of minutiae directed toward not all, but
only
on> e or two others at most.

> I'm not trying to advocate censorship here. Rather, I ask for the simple
co> nsideration of all of the others entangled within the thread by proxy
of
th> e listserve itself. Think twice before posting, and consider the
entirety
o> f the audience?

> Says the guy who hit the send button by mistake,
>
> Warren
Hayman