[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: GITMO Detainees Can Challenge Detention

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 16:18:51 PDT 2008

Sunil,

The purpose of detaining combatants, is not to put them on trial. The point is to keep them from shooting at our troops.

This fact continues to elude you. Again, the purpose isn't to say they are criminals, and should be tried, but to keep them from doing something to you, me, Americans, and our troops. It isn't for any other reason. You cannot have a trial to convict someone of something they are going to do. But we should be able to detain them to keep them from killing us. It is called the right of self preservation. And it is just plain common sense to take the enemy off the field and keep them from killing you.

The second fact that fails to elude you is that these terrorists, many of which plotted to kill thousands of Americans, have been given more rights than any other prisons of war in the History of the World. They can already have many trials. To give them more is a waste of taxpayer monies.

The final fact, that seems to elude you, is that US Soldiers will no longer take hostages if they feel that they will not remain contained during the military conflict and may be given another opportunity to shoot at them again.

There is something wrong with our court system when terrorists are given more rights than US citizens and the soldiers charged with the task of watching and containing them. Something is very wrong with this picture.

Best Regards,

Donovan